Pages

Thursday, December 26, 2019

Trying out a new ruler


When a quilt pattern uses a lot of half square triangles, I often cringe just a little.  I don't mind sewing them, but trimming and squaring them up can be so time consuming.  So I'm trying out a new ruler that I saw in an online video tutorial a while back.  It lets you square up to size and trim the dog ears. Since Harvest Road has a large number of HST I decided to test out the ruler on this project.  


There were 2 rulers in the package - one for even numbered sizes, and one for 1/2" sizes.  These HST need to be 3 1/2" squared up.  The ruler is really nicely marked and easy to see exactly where to lay it. The dashed line goes on the stitching line.  Then trim the 2 sides of the triangle. And last use the notches to cut off the dog ears.  


Once it's trimmed just open it up and press.  It's a perfect 3 1/2" HST with no dog ears.  Simple to use.  I'm not usually a fan of  specialty rulers, but this one actually does make the process pretty slick. I think this is one I'll keep using.  There are now 16 of these first units for Harvest Road.  The next step is more HST to use to make hourglass units.  The ruler will come in handy.


Here are the rulers in their packaging - Clearly Perfect Slotted Trimmers.  




4 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the new ruler. I've been looking at it for several weeks now. I just couldn't justify purchasing it, maybe now I can!

Ramona said...

I've looked at that ruler, too, and was thinking of it as I made 80 HST's this morning. Thanks for your opinion!

Tired Teacher said...

I haven't heard of this ruler - looks like a good tool to have.

Vicki in MN said...

Well that is an interesting ruler, love that you can cut the dog ears right off. I'll have to investigate;)