Pages

Saturday, November 11, 2023

RSC23 - Week #45 - Veteran's Day

It's Veteran's Day!  Thank you to all of the veterans and active duty personnel for your service.  Today I'll be attending the local community Veteran's Day program and luncheon, where our QOV group will be presenting 4 quilts to deserving veterans.  


Over the years I've shared military photos of my dad and uncles, my grandfather, and more.  Today I'm recognizing my niece. Lana is a nurse and retired as a major in the US Army.  She currently works as a nurse in a mental health facility.  A photo she shared on Facebook yesterday is from years ago and features her dog Gabe, who was trained to carry medical supplies in the field.  Thank you Lana for your decades of service. And thank you to her husband Pete who is a retired Apache helicopter pilot, who also gave decades of military service to our country.  


No RSC projects were given any attention this week.  My sewing yesterday was mostly centered around some Quilts of Valor stitching.  At the recent quilt show, one of the vendors had a basket full of red, white, and blue jelly roll strips rolled into sets of 5.  I purchased a couple of them to use for rail fence blocks for Quilts of Valor. 


So far I've used these strips to make 2 sets of 6 Rail Fence blocks.  These finish at 6".  I've added them to a stack of Rail Fence blocks for another future Quilt of Valor.  There are 2 reds and 2 blue strips remaining. I'll find some light neutral to go with them for more of these.


The only "scrappy" sewing that I did this week was to finish another of the Potato Chip blocks.  There are 13 of these hanging in the closet so far.  I'm using the 2.5" by 4.5" chip sections, so the blocks finish at 12" square.  My little box of chips has a lot more light neutrals left to use, but the colors need some replenishing from the scrap bins.  

What's happening in your rainbow world?
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

Kate said...

Thank your family for all their service. I really like your potato chip block. Happy stitching this weekend.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Kudos to you for continuing to honor your family's military service through your QOV sewing efforts, Sara! Are you enjoying the making of those Potato Chip clocks? I just watched a video for a jumbo sized block yesterday. I think it's about time for me to set my sewing machine back up!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a great story about your niece and husband! Please thank them for their service from all of us! Your rail fence blocks are going to make a great quilt - looks like those strips are perfect for it. Love the Potato Chip block, too. I might have to add those to my list!

Jenny said...

Such a dedicated military family you have, making QOV will certainly remind you of these special people in your life.

Mari said...

I love the rail fence fabrics. They will make a great quilt. Many thanks to your niece and her hubby, and to all your family, for their service. I know they sometimes get tired of hearing it, but it matters! :)

Bonnie said...

What a wonderful history of you family's service. Youth of today don't seem to be interested in military service. And a lot of them who want to have a hard time passing the physical. Your rail fence looks great. I like those fabrics. But the "Potato Chip" block is a winner. I may have to try to make some of those. It looks like a really good scrap buster.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Thank you to your niece and her dog too...not an easy job to take care of the wounded. Thank you for sewing Quilts of Valor, it is so important that Veterans are recognized for their bravery:)