Pages

Saturday, October 19, 2024

RSC24 - Week #42

It was another productive sewing week, including a little experiment for another possible future RSC project to play with.

I get regular emails from APQ, and last week the focus of one email was scrappy projects.  Two of those scrappy projects really caught my eye, and one of them was so awesome that I had to give it a try.  There are plenty more 16-patch units left over from the quilt using them in the center of Churn Dash blocks.  And there was a whole little bin full of HSTs already made too.  So how difficult could it be to use both to create the Make Your Point?  The trick is to spin those Pinwheels both directions so the blocks end up looking like they are set on point.  Wouldn't these make a cute doll quilt?  I love it.  And it will use up small units already made.
 

This mini quilt (13") is not exactly a scrappy project, as it was a new kit.  But each leaf has 4 different fabrics, and there were 4 different light neutral backgrounds used too.  I am definitely going to use this paper pieced pattern again - and make it from my scrap bins.


The Hunter's Star quilt top was all assembled this week.  I used a couple of batik layer cakes plus a black print for this one - in a RAINBOW of colors.  I love almost everything about it - except for the overall size.  It is currently 60 x 90, and looks too long and narrow.  I'm toying with a couple of ideas for making it wider, and have plenty of the batiks left.  I've ordered more of the black.  

I'm linking up with the RSC posts today . . .

10 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

I really thought your little experiment was on point! I had to squint to see the pinwheel action, how neat is that to make it look tricky when it is not!

Nann said...

Such colorful scrappy fun! I remember that APQ design (Mabeth Oxenrider, I think).

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love that new block you're playing with! That will make an amazing quilt. Your leaf tablerunner is a beauty, too! And look at that Hunter's Star top - you got lots done this week!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love that first block you show!!

Pam said...

I really like the fall leaves! Can you share who created the paper pieces pattern?
psthimsen at Gmail dot com

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a productive week, Sara!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

All pretty projects!

a good yarn said...

Such terrific projects. That’s so clever about the pinwheels making the blocks look on point. The maple leaf mini is delightful. Lovely Fall colours. Hunters Star is dazzling in those rainbow batiks.

Susie H said...

You've certainly had a good time in your sewing room this past week. I'm really loving all of them. Your Hunter's Star twinkles, the beginnings of a new RSC looks like a real winner especially since you already had parts to give it a go, and those leaves -- I LOVE THEM! Great job, Sara!

Ramona said...

Using the pinwheels in opposite directions give your quilt such a cool look! The leaves are so pretty. Do you know the pattern name?