Pages

Sunday, February 18, 2024

Windmills galore

 Since the collection of Windmill blocks had grown too big for the hanger, I've been sewing them into "two-sies", and some "three-sies".  

It was time to lay them out on the floor and see things are looking.  Currently there are enough for a kid sized quilt, but if I want a twin sized quilt a lot more will be needed.  These are great scrappy blocks, and I do love making them.  The blocks are 8" unfinished.

And with Windmills on my mind I've been looking on Pinterest lately for new ideas.  I think I've mentioned lately that too many ideas have been spinning my brain into a tizzy!  I'm so easily distracted lately. 


If memory serves me correctly this was called Tilt when I saw it on Pinterest.  It appears to be made using slightly wonky Windmill quarter units.  I'll call them Blades.  The Windmill blade units could be done using lots of different colors with a common background color (grey?) or scrappy backgrounds - and NOT sewn into the Windmill shape.  This picture from Pinterest appears to use those units to create the zig zags.  And it could be done using larger squares, such as a layer cake.  What a fun idea!!


And I found another variation from Pinterest, and this one is called Fractured.  Same basic idea, but layed out differently and staying within one color family.  So many options out there for playing with scraps!!  


So - you knew I would have to play with these a little bit, right?  

4 comments:

Kate said...

Pinterest is a dangerous place! Have fun playing with your new scrappy project.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I saw the Fractured quilt somewhere but I don't remember where it is interesting

Tired Teacher said...

Fun ideas! I like the windmill blocks together.

Nann said...

Kathy Doughty and Sujata Shah have 'fractured' windmill designs. So many ways to arrange units and blocks -- the magic of quilting that keeps us going.