Pages

Thursday, September 26, 2019

Signature quilt


In late June 2018 my husband's extended family had a BIG reunion and my husband was the organizer/host this time.  His mother was one of 12 children (all passed now), with the oldest 3 born in Sweden and the remaining 9 born in South Dakota after the family immigrated to the US.  Most of their descendants attended.  I had made a ton of Ritzy Cracker blocks to have folks sign as they registered.  This is the result - 95 blocks signed by attendees, plus one empty block to fill out a row. 

There were actually about 150 people at the reunion, but we had couple sign together. And we had families put their children together on a block. There are 3 of them that I'll need to trace over the signature again to make them stronger.  As I laid these out yesterday I found signatures of 3 people who have passed away since that reunion a year ago, which was sad.  We don't know exactly what will become of this quilt. I plan to give it to my husband and let him decide if he wants to keep it himself or donate it as a raffle item for the next reunion. 

And ironically I still have a pile of about 30 blocks that will be added to the newer ones I've been making. Those will eventually become children's quilts for either gifts or donations. 

5 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

love it...this pattern is on my someday list!

Tired Teacher said...

The blocks are perfect for a signature quilt, and they have captured a bit of family history. I love this quilt.

Kate said...

What a fun way to remember the reunion. Love the scrappiness of it.

woolyjooly said...

such a cool idea, an heirloom for the Fridley clan & Dave in particular!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a great idea! Did they sign and then embroider the names? Or just sign with a washable pen?