Pages

Monday, September 11, 2023

Design Wall Monday - Sept 11

September 11 once again.  My youngest daughter was a senior in high school, and I was teaching in that same high school on the "original" 9/11. It's hard to believe it has been 22 years ago already.


I had Quilts of Valor in mind on Sunday and worked on another block test.  The Pinwheel Star began with a scrappy pinwheel made from triangles trimmed from other blocks. It briefly became a square-in-square by adding triangles to the sides and turning the pinwheel itself on point.  It was 6.5" square, so worked perfectly for the center of a simple sawtooth star.  There are more of those little pinwheels in the QOV bin, so there may be more of these in the future.


On Saturday our Sew Vintage group was challenged with "everything pumpkin" for our October meeting.  That made me think about pumpkin mug rugs to add to the stack.  So I used the apple pattern (Lori Holt) and just used orange strings from the scrap bin to piece that pumpkin shape.  

A lot of other random sewing happened on Sunday as I was home alone with no interruptions.  I started a new Christmas table topper, made a couple more scrappy Potato Chip blocks, played with more mug rug ideas, and then hand stitched some binding on the cruise quilt.  I must also confess that I bought a kit for a Christmas bench pillow on Saturday. How long can I resist starting it?  

Now it's time to finish assembling the rows to the Quilt of Valor I started last week.  And there is a new Saturday Sampler block to sew.  Those will be my first priorities this week.  Then I can play with scraps to my hearts' content, and work on the Christmas-y stuff. 

Check out more design walls today -
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Oh I love the star! I have lots of HST's from cutoffs that would be perfect for pinwheels(when I have the time). Have a good week.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes 9-11 again and all the memories come back - I was actually watching the Today Show as it was happening and thinking what the hell is happening

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

i really like that Pinwheel block - nice
and the pumpkins!! too cute
Glad you were able to get a day to do what you wanted - feels nice right?

Nann said...

9/11 is a milepost in our lives -- like JFK's assassination or December 7, 1941.....The pinwheel adds motion to the star!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I was a teacher, too - taking my 5th graders to the computer lab and saw what was happening on the lab teacher's computer. It's definitely hard to believe 22 years have passed. Love seeing what you've been working on - those pumpkin mug rugs are adorable!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nice star, sounds like you had a fun Sunday!

Marsha Cooper said...

I was driving to work at Head Start when they came on with the news....I thought this just can't be real. We ended up watching TV's all day.