Pages

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Mug rug explosion

We've had 3 days of 100 degree weather, so it was ideal for hiding out in my cool basement sewing room - although I'm having a little cabin fever.  Saturday morning was our monthly guild meeting, but after I got home the rest of the afternoon was spent sewing.  I've been on a mug rug kick ever since my daughter asked me to make her a 6" mug rug for her work desk.  


Two different hexie designs have been happening. One has 1 or 2 frames around a center hexie, and the other has alternated colors framing the hexie.  Then I had an "a ha" moment and pulled out my Lori Holt books. The square apple and pear mug rugs are her 6" versions.  I'm thinking some little square ones with coffee mugs would be cute too.  


The binding for these has all come from my leftover binding drawer.  I have one of those rolling craft towers with the shallow drawers that used to be in my office at school.  Now the top 2 drawers hold rolls of binding leftovers.  I dig in frequently for scrappy bindings or if I need a narrow strip of a certain color, so it doesn't go to waste.  


Each of these 14 mug rugs has been quilted, and the binding attached.  They might be a good project to keep my hands busy after my hip surgery at the end of the month.  And I'm guessing even more of these will be made before then.  A good use of the scrap bins. 

And . . . it's a good way to avoid deciding on final borders for the Scrappiness quilt.  

7 comments:

Ramona said...

What a pretty stack of mug rugs! Finishing those would be a great project while you are recuperating.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that stack looks great!

Kate said...

I really like the beachy scene one, that's perfect for a glass of tea on a hot summer day.

Vicki in MN said...

Adorable mug rugs, I love that pear one!!!!! I keep thinking I should do a pear runner.

Far Side of Fifty said...

If you used some of that thermal stuff as a lining they could be pot holders!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Adorable mug rugs! Use the ones I have every day.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

They are looking amazing! the apple one is fun!
Heal fast!!!