I'm determined to empty out a couple of project boxes holding forgotten projects, and projects that I have been slow to finish. Yesterday I posted about the box full of squares from guild members. Today - it's all about denim.
Have you ever made a denim quilt? About 30 years ago I made a denim couch quilt using jeans outgrown by my girls. It was put together like a crazy quilt, with odds and ends of cotton fabrics too. The backing is flannel, so it weighs a ton. It was tied rather than quilted.
Fast forward those 30 years, and I've had denim on my mind again. While looking on Pinterest (a black hole) for ideas I came across lots of people using the Potato Chip blocks. One variation had only 6 "chips" sewn around a denim square. BINGO!!
On a shelf in my sewing room closet I knew there was a small bin with 6" squares of denim, all cut and waiting for inspiration. Or so I thought. What was really in that bin you ask? That stack of denim squares AND a big stack of denim squares sewn to flannel squares.
So - the plain denim squares were rescued from this bin and were trimmed down to 4.5" squares. The leftover Tilda fabrics (from the Windy Days wall hanging) are being cut into 2.5" x 4.5" potato chips. I'm kind of thinking these blocks would make a big floor pillow, but maybe something else will come to mind. As long as they don't end up back in that little bin with the flannel blocks, right? LOL
The flannel/denim rag quilt components will be given away to someone who actually wants to finish it. Anyone out there want them? I'll gladly box them up and send them your way!!
The prospect of an empty bin is exciting.
6 comments:
Those potato chip blocks are really cute. That will make a very fun pillow. Hope you find a home for your flannel and denim UFO. It will feel so nice to have another empty project box.
No thanks on the denim/flannel squares. LOL. I do want to say how good those Tilda prints look with the denim. It’s going to make a cute quilt!
I’m with Carolyn, the Tilda fabrics look great with the denim!
Good morning, Sara. I would gladly take the flannel squares if you would be willing to mail them to Colorado. I make small quilts to donate to Firehouse Quilts in Colorado and they would be used for this purpose. My email is rickhayden@comcast.net - thank you, Barbara
Beautiful pile of flannels and denim! I'm glad you found a use for them!
Love this - way to rescue those denim pieces !!!
Post a Comment