Pages

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Books and pillowcases go together

Something to play with, something to wear, and something to read . . . that has become my motto for buying Christmas gifts for the 5 grandchildren.  This year I decided they each needed a pillowcase with the same theme as the book the receive.  A Friday afternoon off, and those pillowcases are ready to go.
 
 
For 2 year old Jack, I found a book about a train, and it has a little toy train that he can run through the grooves on every page.  His pillowcase has train cars floating all over.


 
Jonah is 4 and he is getting Jan Brett's book The Hat.  And while searching online for other things I came across this fabric with woodland creatures - wearing knit hats just like in the book.  What a lucky find!


 
Mason's tastes are running toward a fascination with dragons now that he is 6.  The book has all kinds of dragon stories, maps, and secret flaps hiding more information. I've hunted high and low for dragon fabric, and finally found some online.  I love that the red dragon is almost a perfect match to the color of the book cover.


 
And both girls - 5 year old Sophia and 4 year old Olivia - are getting Bambi.  The Bambi fabric was a find at Missouri Star Quilt Company this summer.  And the books have beautiful illustrations, similar to my vintage childhood Bambi book. 

Check out what other quilters are working on: Design Wall Monday at http://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/2017/11/design-wall-monday-november-20-2017.html

7 comments:

Feathers in my Nest said...

Bambi!! I Love Bambi! cute, cute, cute pillowcases.

Tired Teacher said...

A very clever gift idea: the fabric you found makes the books even more special. Well done!

Judy Hansen said...

What great matches of fabrics to books! Well done! Thanks for linking with Design Wall Monday, and Happy Thanksgiving! Judy

AnnieO said...

So sweet to match the pillowcase to the books. My grandsons love books and this would be a very cute idea for the nearly 4 year old.

Kate said...

What a fun Christmas gift idea! Have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Sara,
What a fabulous idea!! This is just great. I'm going to PIN this so that when my little guy gets a little bigger (he's 11 weeks now) he can enjoy this too. I already have books, the cutest puppy toy, and clothes for him. This sounds like the perfect thing for next year. ~smile~ Roseanne

Marcy said...

What a special idea. Every year the kids will be looking forward to your gifts.