Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

A bit of organizing


Once I dug into my cubes of "kid" themed fabric looking for pillowcase options, I knew I couldn't leave the mess as is.  There were 2 cubes in this bookcase with novelty fabrics in them, and I couldn't even push one of them back into the shelf because it was such a mess.


One of the drawers I just dumped on the floor to start sorting.  From both of the cubes I pulled out more pieces big enough for pillowcases, and set those aside.  Then I folded up anything that was about fat quarter size and put them back neatly into the empty cube - ready to be used for some future projects.  I cut lots of charm squares from some of the scraps for a couple of on-going projects which I'll show another day.  What is left on the floor now is mostly "strings" and I just need to sort them into the scrap bins by color. 


The other treasure found in those cubes - leftover binding.  This is absolutely crazy!! There is enough of a few of these to bind a runner or a small wall hanging. And then for others there is maybe just 24" or so.  Some may become part of a scrappy binding for a scrappy quilt.  These all went into a gallon size zip-lock bag and are with the kid fabrics in the top cube.  That cube is only half full now. Yay!! That is progress.

The second cube is not quite as full as it was, but I'll have to organize that another day.  But the best thing is that I can easily slide both cubes back into their shelves.  And I had plenty of time to do a little sewing along with kitting up some blocks.  

5 comments:

Ramona said...

It feels to good when a previously chaotic area is organized. Nicely done!

cityquilter grace said...

i always keep binding remnants on hand and do exactly that....

Nann said...

Amazing what a little tidying up will reveal --treasures you'd forgotten about! One idea for the binding leftovers, if they're not bias-cut, is to trim them to 2" and add them to your strings box -- or just use them as 2.25" strings.

Moneik said...

It's amazing how much better I feel after I clean/organize a bit. We are getting ready to camp for 3 weeks, so I packed up my sewing stuff and boy it cleaned up my area quick. Now I am ready to take on my new projects. I also cut up a bunch of kids pillowcases to donate, but will wait until I am home and can use the serger.

Tired Teacher said...

Well done! I need to tackle the mess on top of my cutting table. It has so many piles that I can't even see or even use the mat. I put leftover binding bits in my 2.5 inch scrap bin.