Pages

Monday, August 24, 2020

Design Wall Monday - August 24

 August 24 - my mother would have been 96 today!  I can credit her with instilling a love of sewing into me - her only daughter.  Thanks Mom!


The "heat dome" has been hovering over us for several days now, and it came with humidity.  I never left the house on Sunday except to water my flower pots on the porch - in the shade.  We had planned to meet the younger daughter's family in Sioux Falls at the zoo in the morning, but I texted her last night and said I really felt it would be too hot for me, and for any animals to be out and active.  She texted right back and said "thank God, because I didn't want to either".  So, I suddenly had my Sunday to spend some time in my sewing room.

First task was to finish putting my big Saturday Sampler top together.  Done!!  But I'll save that post for another day.

Then I worked on some purple blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  The second Twinkle Star block is still partially constructed and laying next to my machine.  But one Twinkle Star and one Rainbow String block were added to the collection.  



From those border prints I showed a couple of weeks ago, I now have 2 table runners sewn and ready to quilt.  These 60-degree runners only take about 15 minutes to sew once you have the parts cut.  

I added the binding onto that little Halloween table topper I "found", and will post that once I finish the hand stitching. 

And finally I pulled fabrics for a Sew Vintage group challenge project.  Cindy challenged us to pick any Lori Holt block, from any of the books we've worked with, and make something.  Anything - big or small.  The plan for this is to make a pillow, but you never know.  


What is on YOUR design wall this morning?
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/



7 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The new Lori Holt block is going to be fun to make. The heat dome plus smoke has been stalled here for nearly two weeks. I’m more than ready for it ALL to move.

Moneik said...

Love the 60 degree runners. I ended up with 4 or 5 of those rulers as my mom loved making them too.

Vicki in MN said...

Your Thanksgiving runners are adorable!

AnnieO said...

Lots of variety to play with in your quilting room, Enjoy! We've had lots of heat and humidity and fires here in SoCal too, but don't have central air conditioning, just a unit for our bedroom.

Nann said...

Twinkle Star is such a great block and yours reminds me that I should revisit it. Here in northeasternmost Illinois we had a temperate weekend but the heat wave hit today (92) and it may reach 97 tomorrow. We need rain soooo badly.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh I really like those table runners!! You are so talented! :)

sewyouquilt2 said...

Pretty runners.