Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2020

Small projects

 I've had a miserable end to the week - between allergies knocking me down, and missing my buddy Sammy.  So I was glad that Friday I had a couple of binding projects to work on so I didn't leave the house and breathe the outside pollen-laden air.  


Maybe binding a black cat table runner was a good tribute to Sammy.  This was a border print that was purchased a couple of years ago and had been languishing in a drawer.  I absolutely LOVE the spider web quilting design.  I added an orange binding and it has a light grey plain backing.  


The square Halloween table topper was a UFO, but the black cats are similar to the other.  Those cat eyes glow in the dark.  The center square was shared with us by a member of the Sew Vintage group and it was too cute to cut up.  This is a simple square-in-a-square in another square, then finished with a border.  Everything was from my stash and I quilted it myself.  Check off another UFO from the long, long list.  


Saturday morning sewing demanded something simple after a restless night.  My husband even got up and went into another bedroom to sleep.  A couple of months ago I kitted up 3 Quick Strippee children's quilts: flamingos, sheep, and Scottie dogs.  The pattern is a freebie from Mary and I've made several.


The sheep were calling to me!!  This quilt is so, so simple because it's just cut into width of fabric strips.  The only thing that was even slightly tricky - my sheep fabric needed to be turned so no sheep were standing on their woolly little heads.  Since the strips were all cut and ready in my kit, this took me less than 90 minutes to sew the whole top.  

On a side note, the station wagon/Christmas tree block is done, but I want to find a border and backing fabric for this to become a pillow top.  I am picturing something that has a vintage feel with plenty of red and green.  But we'll see what I find.  I think I have just enough left of that background to put a very narrow strip on each end, so the car "floats" in the block.   







4 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

maybe a 30s style print? very nice...

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your table runners are so pretty I am certain you will miss your kitty for a long long time...sending good thoughts your way!

sewyouquilt2 said...

Sending hugs for Sammy. Love your car

chrisknits said...

I am so sorry for your loss, but what a sweet tribute to him your topper is!