Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2020

Sewing therapy


I desperately needed some fabric therapy this morning - rather than focusing on work tasks for both of my part time jobs.  So I took the morning off.  The left half of my Saturday Sampler quilt is all put together.  Building a quilt in vertical columns instead of horizontal rows is kind of strange.  And notice how dark it is in my sewing room.  Thunder, lights blinking - and so rain so far. What strange weather.


Once that half quilt top was done I decided to work on something else before tackling the other half.  So that Halloween table topper I found a couple of weeks ago is now quilted.  Just simple rows of diagonal quilting 2" apart.  The backing is out of my stash.  But I didn't find anything for binding that looked good with those vintage oranges on the front, except for black.  And I don't want black binding on this because the outer border and backing are already black.  So I may need to take this to The Pin Cushion as see what I can find in a more vintage orange color.  


Now that I've had some sewing time today I feel like I can tackle online classes and invoices.

I'm teaching 3 online classes this semester and classes started officially yesterday for most of the region's school districts.  But not all of them.  A few will start next week, and most of my online students - so far - are from districts starting next week.  We always have additional enrollments come in during that first week of school, so we'll see how many I end up with.

And for my other part time job, I have been neglecting contractor invoices the past couple of weeks because our focus has been on putting together "closeout" packets for several projects that are done.  As I type this I see that I just got an email from a contractor with the final set of signatures needed.  So - I'll be very busy the rest of the day with that job.  My mantra is "hours worked = $$ for quilting".  Keeps me motivated some days.  
 

7 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The first section of your sampler looks great. That project will soon be finished. Nice to have the extra money for quilting supplies and expenses.

Ramona said...

Your sampler blocks are so pretty! I don't think I've ever put a quilt together top to bottom.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Looking good...glad you had some sewing time:)

Kate said...

You made good use of your sanity sewing time. Hopefully you got in a bit more later in the week.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sewing always sounds more appealing than work tasks! The sampler quilt really looks neat, and a fun tabletopper being finished up for Halloween, too. Good luck with classes starting up!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW glad you took the time for a little quilting break, Sara!

grammajudyb said...

Seems like I saw some new Halloween fabrics that had a more vintage feel. Hope you can find something you like. Halloween is just around the corner!