Pages

Monday, January 15, 2024

Design Wall Monday - a frigid Jan 15

 I just can't get warm, even snuggled under a quilt I'm binding! This has been such a miserably cold weekend with windchills down at -45.  Brrrr!  But being cooped up during a blizzard provided plenty of stitching time.


One Sunday project was this paper pieced mini quilt.  It was a kit I ordered from Shabby Fabrics.  Other than 1 piece I put on wrong - 3 times - it was a quick and easy project. Once I quilt and bind this 12" mini quilt it will be just perfect in the little wrought iron hanger by my fireplace.


I also made one more of the Whirling 9-Patch. This was a Bonnie Hunter pattern from Quiltmaker magazine.  But I used 2.5" squares instead of 2" so my blocks are slightly larger.


Four new Windmill blocks have been added to the stack.  These were some of the ones I kitted up to bring with me this week.  I'm thinking the next projects to work on will involved borders on bigger quilts.  One has plain borders, but the other one has pieced borders.

The kids don't have school for MLK Day, so I may not get much stitching in today.  And Sophia has swim team practice this evening.  My daughter and SIL have been having a wonderful vacation so far, based on the photos they've shared. I'm so glad.

Check out more Monday morning design walls . . .
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

Nann said...

The Valentine heart mini is a charmer! It's cold here, too -- in the Milwaukee area there were major power outages that are still (48 hrs) being repaired. I woke up at 3 a.m. when the furnace cycled on. I think about pioneer stories when they had to break the ice in the washbasin in the morning. I think it was Laura Ingalls Wilder who wrote about writing her name in the frost on the inside of the window.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes old house can be drafty, we aren't near as cold as you but it is 5 here and some of our windows in the house are old and we had a little frost on some edges there and there of them. I have small rugs rolled up in front of the doors to keep drafts out. I hope your cold spell won't last long we have two more days at least I think of nights in single digits

Bonnie said...

Very cute heart. I hate it when I make the same mistake multiple times. I've finally learned to put the problem child away and do something easy! Love the whirling 9 patch. Makes me want to start one too. But, no, I'll stick with the many block projects I have going. Hope you can warm up. Your cold weather has come east but it isn't anywhere near how cold you've got it. I'm thankful for that.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Brrr! I hope your grands aren't getting cabin fever - I have to admit that I am! Your heart mini quilt is so pretty - glad you got it figured out. I like that Whirling 9 Patch, too! Have a fun day with the kids!

Kate said...

At that temp, it's no wonder you are constantly cold and can't get warm. We hit a max of 2 F yesterday and I was cold all day. You got a lot of stitching done over the weekend. Grad Girl's roommate is from South Dakota and said it was just so weird that everyone there was making a fuss over a low of 17 F.

Judy Hansen said...

Your heart miniquilt made me smile this morning. It reminded me that February will soon be here, and cheered me up. I will get some of my Valentine quilts out and display them. Thanks for the smiles - and brrrrrr, your weather is very cold. Keep those quilts on top of you!
Hugs, Judy