Pages

Saturday, September 14, 2024

RSC24 - Week #37

It's my very favorite Saturday of every month - Saturday Sampler in the morning and Sew Vintage in the afternoon.  With both of those fun in-person activities mixed in with the weekly Rainbow Scrap Challenge postings, my brain is going to be spinning with quilting ideas by the end of the day.

I wasn't sure that brown was going to work very well with the black and white in the Night Vision blocks, but I dug in and tried to choose "warm" tones of brown.  And I'm pleasantly surprised.   


The contrast isn't the best in that darker pinwheel, but I really do like the Night Vision block.  


One brown and one black Brighten block joined the stack.  I hope to do more of these dark ones before the end of the month. 


String blocks had fallen off my radar lately, but I did get a brown version of both done early in the week.  There were other partially constructed string blocks in the box too, so those came out to be sewn up during the week too. 


Throughout the rest of the week I used string blocks as Leader/Enders in between sewing the Kitty blocks into more rows.  You can see the Kitty rows hanging up behind these.  The last of the scrappy Kitty blocks are now sewn into 5 rows, but I didn't get them attached to the first half of the quilt.  But that's OK - it should be easy to finish up after I finish a store sample quilt top for my local quilt shop.  


This is how I have been putting the bigger string blocks together. There are 22 of these blocks with the white center strip now, so a lot more are needed for a good sized quilt.  For now however, the hanger and string project box are back in the closet while I focus the next 2 weeks on other things.


These were also part of my Leader/Ender sewing this week - more String Beads and more of the 16-patch units.  I need to count the String Bead blocks because I have no idea how many I've made.  The 16-patch units have been added to the small pile left over from the Churn Dash blocks I made with them.  I counted 9 of these, at 4.5" unfinished.  They may become the centers of more Churn Dash blocks, or stars, or Bead blocks . . . or something else.  


Another RSC block set from previous years has come back out of the closet too.  Bonnie Hunter has released the pattern for Diamond Tiles just this week.  It was a block she originally released in her Addicted to Scraps column in Quiltmaker magazine, which I immediately tore out of the magazine.  I made some (about 20) blocks, but then hung the pattern and more pieces in the sewing room closet.  The blocks are so cute and finish at 7".  My original plan had been making a baby quilt so I used a lot of bright colors and kid prints for the centers.  My brain says "do something with these", so as I finish up the store sample quilt top and the Kitty quilt top as a current RSC project, I might go back to making these going forward.  

I'm linking up to more Rainbow fun . . .

7 comments:

Kate said...

Your dark neutrals blocks turned out beautifully. You've made progress on several of your RSC projects. You'll lots of bright and bold quilts when you get those all done.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Have fun at your quilt gatherings! I really like the white strip in the center of the string blocks...cool that it makes a diamond.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

All your blocks are looking great!

Nann said...

The Brighten block is unusual -- a whole quilt of them would be interewsting. I like Night Vision, too.

Vicki in MN said...

You are rockin' your projects! I bet you had a wonderful day with quilty friends.

a good yarn said...

Wow, lots of terrific blocks. You are a busy bee and the Diamond Tiles pattern is going to look great. Happy stitching!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I have been hesitant to include brown in this year's RSC quilt. Yours turned out so well and I do have an abundance of brown scraps, so thank you for the push. I think I will give it a whirl.