Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Crows Foot blocks

This month's Saturday Sampler block is the Crows Foot.  We will make both sizes each month with the big one 12.5" and the little one  6.5".  The little one was a bit more challenging but I'm happy with the results. I also have the applique block done for the month but will show that another day.


One of the things I did with the little block to help it lie flat was to press open all of the seams in the HSTs instead of toward one side. It reduced the bulk and made a big difference in the quality of the block in my opinion.  I'll definitely use that technique again.

One of the things that I love the most about Saturday Sampler - besides the social aspect of it - is that it pushes us to try different techniques, different patterns, and different fabric choices.  In this case there are 3 blocks each month: applique, a large block, and an identical small block.  I want to improve my skills with applique. And learning to change our techniques and strategies to succeed with smaller piecing should help all of my quilting.  

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I often press seams open on small blocks. Love these stars!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

They look fantastic. Small blocks are challenging I agree but oh so cute!