Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2019

Service projects


Our guild took on a new service project last year - teaching young girls at a local agency to sew pillowcases.  The Abbott House houses young girls ages 7-23 who have suffered trauma and abuse.  

The pillowcase project was so well received by the girls last time that we have 3 more sessions scheduled this week with today being the last one.  This will be a whole new group of girls. Today will be my first volunteer session with this project and I'm looking forward to it. 

We provide the fabric, and bring a sewing machine along with very minimal supplies.  Due to safety and security issues it was suggested that we bring Wonder clips rather than pins. Small scissors and a seam ripper are the only other things I'm bringing.  And before leaving I better check my bobbin thread on the machine.

Speaking of machines - I mentioned to my husband that I'm saving up to buy a better small machine to take to classes and activities like this.  My old Singer is lighter than my new Pfaff, but is still kind of heavy. And it's about 30 years old and getting kind of cranky.  He thought that was a great idea since he usually ends up carrying it upstairs for me.  Sounds like I need to start shopping doesn't it?  He bought a new vehicle this week, so I'm thinking that buying another sewing machine is looking like a very small investment.   

2 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Sometimes I wish I had a Featherweight to take to classes and retreats. My travel machine is nice but also heavy. Eager to hear what machines you're considering.

Moneik said...

I have a Janome DC3050 which I love for classes and sewing in the camper. It's light for classes and easy to use. It has speed control which is good for the kids when sewing. They also have several DC2013, 2014, 2015 etc. models which are a new color each year (hence the number) and my MIL has one that she uses. They are just so user friendly. All have 50 stitches, needle up/down, and are computerized. I hope you have fun shopping. I'm not sure what you'll find around you, but hopefully you'll have fun looking.