Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Yellow block play

First of all, the good news is my daughter tested negative for Covid, which has surprised us all. But the bad news is she still doesn’t feel well.  She is thinking the horrible headache and fatigue she is feeling may be connected to the herniated disk she has. Happily, her husband continues to feel better so that is good.  The kids can’t go back to school until Nov. 9 unfortunately.  We’re trying to count our blessings here, because things could be so much worse. 

I had an hour over my lunch break on Tuesday to sew a little, and I just felt that desire to sew something different than what was laying on my table.  So, I pulled out a couple of yellows from the scrap bin and made 2 blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  October's color is yellow - a cheerful color to make up for that snow outside.

The Ohio Star block looks good in every color, and adding this yellow one to the mix brings the total number of blocks up to 27.  I need to make 3 more blocks in any color and then I'll have enough to set them 5 x 6 for a quilt top. The plan is just setting them together with no sashing.  A border decision can be made after I see how it looks.  The Ohio Star flimsy is going onto my November goal list. 

The Fat Quarter Shop is running an online set of blocks called Sewcialites.  The block that caught my eye this week was #5, called Wisdom.  I just couldn't resist making a 9" one in yellow.  I think this will be a good scrappy block going forward as it's so fast and easy.  It takes 4" squares and 2" strips. And the pattern also has a 6" block and a 3" block.  I'm pretty tempted to try making some of each size . . . eventually. 

11 comments:

Nann said...

Isn't it nice to fail this test? Hope your daughter can recover some energy! (I had to be tested and I am relieved to report that I failed, too.) The Wisdom block is nice! And I have Ohio Stars on my design wall, too.

cityquilter grace said...

good news indeed....nice cheery blocks!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I hope your daughter feels better soon. I’m sure the stress waiting for the test results didn’t help much. The Wisdom block is attractive, especially in the bright yellow.

Moneik said...

Love the Sewcialites pattern and I think that's a Heather Mulder Peterson (Anka's Treasures) fabric as I made several runners with that line many years ago.

Linda in Calif. said...

Thank goodness your daughter doesn't have covid. I hope she is better soon. I love the yellow block. And it will look great with the others. I Especially love the wisdom block. I hope to start the Sewcialites quilt this weekend.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good news about your daughter! Love the yellow blocks!

LA Paylor said...

so much to worry over... are there false negatives? How anyone could have it in the house and not get it is amazing. Your yellows are sure pretty

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Cute cheerful yellow blocks! So glad your daughter is testing negative. My son has also tested negative a few times lately after being exposed. It's nerve-wracking waiting for results. Sewing helps!

Mari said...

The one test everyone wants to fail. Thank goodness for that, and I hope they are better soon. Love the Ohio Star, and I love the yellow fabric in the churn dash! No matter, yellow always looks happy.

Jenny said...

So pleased that your daughter has tested negative, now the docs need to find out what is causing her to feel so sick.
Pretty yellow blocks.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lovely YELLOW blocks to finish out the month for the RSC, Sara. Hoping your daughter feels better soon!