Pages

Monday, August 27, 2018

Red Birds ready to quilt

Another UFO is ready for quilting.  This pattern is called House Warming Party, but I kept calling it Red Bird Christmas, so I think the name change is going to stick.  Forgive the photo quality - it is so grey and dreary here today that I couldn't find a spot anywhere in the house to take a decent picture.  Once it's quilted and bound I'll get a good one.
 
 
The fabric in that outer border is a "strip it" fabric where it was printed in strips of different designs. So it looked like it was stitched into piano keys, but in reality it's just printed that way, which made that border much quicker to do. The same fabric was used in some of the pieced blocks too but was cut into much smaller pieces obviously so you couldn't tell.  The birdhouses were all pieced and the birds, perches, and round openings were all appliqued onto the birdhouses and into some of the other pieced blocks scattered around the quilt.   
 
 
 
I loved the colors, the fabrics, and the design of this and I couldn't resist buying the kit - a few years ago.  But like all UFOs it languished much too long before getting finished. I still have a bag with some good sized scraps that I can use for something like a table runner.  I think I may keep this one.

http://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/
Check out Design Wall Monday!!!

2 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Gorgeous! Yes, this quilt is definitely a "keeper." I love to use printed strip-set fabric for borders.

Ramona said...

This is such a happy quilt and will look so nice at Christmas. I have never seen the preprinted border fabric before, but what a time saver!