Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Saturday Sampler

 
The final 2 blocks for Saturday Sampler are complete.  This block looked kind of complicated but was actually very easy to put together.  Blue was the only color I hadn't used yet.  It took me almost as long to decide on my fabrics as it did to sew the blocks.
 
 
I didn't have to work yesterday so there was plenty of time to play with these.  The layout provided to us was OK, but I wasn't excited about it. That layout used pieced alternate blocks. I made one and decided not to go that route.  But I liked the idea of alternate blocks, so I spent some time rearranging some options on my design "floor".  Now my plan is to go with an "on point" layout with 5 rows of 4 pieced blocks, separated by black print blocks. That will use 20 of the 21 blocks I've made.
 
I had a white with black print that I tried first as alternate blocks but it read very grey from a distance and made the colors look washed out.  So I dug back into that bin of black/white prints and found lots of black background prints.  Most of these have a fairly large print.  I will need to buy a couple more black prints for a bit more variety, plus I don't have enough to use for the setting triangles around the edges of the quilt.  Will I have this top done in time to show at the next Saturday Sampler class in September?  That is the plan.  


2 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Another attractive block design. The plain blocks draw attention to the sampler blocks: I like that.

Ramona said...

Boy, those blues really pop with the black and white fabrics. I love the layout with the scrappy black and whites. The colors really shine.