Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Rainbow string blocks

Work has been way too busy the past couple of weeks, and so far this week too.  I finished up work for the day and just knew my sewing room was waiting for me.  Mindless sewing - that is what I really needed to do.  Relaxation therapy at its best.

A few days ago I saw a beautiful scrap quilt done with string blocks done in a rainbow of colors.  It inspired me to make something similar.  Check it out at: https://blog.maryquilts.com/2018/09/19/quilted-13/. 

I’ve done several string quilts now, but this is the first time I’ve done the blocks with a single color.  What fun to dig through the color sorted scrap bins to find strings for these.  Look at the cute Minions peeking out of the blue block!

Five blocks are done - and I cut the foundation muslin for two more.  I have lots of red, orange, light blue, and light purple.  So at least a couple more blocks can happen quickly.  The crazy thing is that these blocks made no difference in the amount of scraps left to use up.

I think the green one is my favorite so far.  There are raccoons in one strip. 

Purple was the hardest color to pull together.  There were plenty of scraps, but very few strips long enough to work.  But I think it turned out just fine.  There are actually plenty of lavender/light purple strips to put together in a separate block.  


Note - I use a 10" square of muslin as a foundation and then square them up to 9.5" once the strips are all sewn on.  

5 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Fun blocks. Mary always comes up with great ideas.

Mary Johnson said...

These are all so cute! I’m wishing I’d kept my strings separated by color. I’d like to do more rainbow string blocks.

Sandra said...

I have learned that I enjoy these rainbow string quilts most of all. Since you use muslin as a foundation, do you then use batting also ?

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful blocks Sara! I did one a long time ago.....need to do another!

PaintedThread said...

Nice! Isn't it amazing how many blocks you can make that won't put a dent in the scrap pile?