Binding is in progress for another Quilt of Valor.
Don't you just love a striped binding? This quilt is all Churn Dash blocks in blue with flag print centers. We have an award to do next week, so I also need to get a label onto another QOV and print the certificate.
Garden Stars is the newest paper pieced BOM by Carol Doak. It's going on via her Facebook group and began a couple of months ago with fabric requirements and the pattern for 12 identical "alternate" blocks that will go in between the 13 monthly blocks. It will be a large quilt with 25 blocks finishing at 12".
The first monthly star block was posted on August 1. I sewed all 8 of the block sections on Monday - removing the foundation paper while watching TV Monday evening. Yesterday those sections were joined to make the block. It looks more complicated than it really was. I've only made 4 of the 12 alternate blocks so far, but have a 5th one started.
In an effort to continue moving some older UFO/WIP projects along toward a finish, I'm revisiting a couple of things this month. Here is one WIP - Our quilt guild has this tradition of the "travel square" - which is sharing a 6.5" square of fabric with each member after traveling somewhere. The squares usually represent something from the location. I've made more than 1 quilt from the squares collected over the years but my project box is getting full again, with fabric squares but also with finished star blocks using the squares.
We received 4 new squares of fabric from guild members on Saturday, including the Canada print with the bears in the above photo and this house print. In the project box was a stack of these star blocks with various colors of star points. There were a few sets of star points already cut, so it was easy to put together 2 blocks right away. I've selected some squares that will get yellow star points to follow the RSC color of the month.
Besides the ones with yellow points, I've prepped these other 4 as well. If I keep making a few each month I'll soon have enough for a couple of good sized donation quilts.
1 comment:
I love that idea of a travel square!! My mom used to buy fabrics for me when they traveled and I have the fabrics all * Collected* This is a great idea to showcase them.... hmmmmm the ideas!!
And yes! LOVE a striped binding!
Post a Comment