Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Clever readers

I'm so grateful for the clever readers who suggest ideas.  Thank you Nancy!!


Grandson Jonah had requested PLAIN masks because he didn't want to look goofy.  He's only 7 but concerned about looking good.  Nancy suggested making the masks reversible - what a great idea!!!
So, I had a bunch of this grey concrete-looking fabric leftover from a quilt back.  It's about as plain as possible, right?


Now the plain concrete grey masks are reversible with spiders and fish.  Neither of these fabrics are childish prints, so hopefully these will fit the bill.  I'll do the same with the golf print, and I can make the rest of the girl masks reversible too.  The previous ones all had plain white inside, but there is no reason not to use grey, or tan, navy, pink, etc.  Duh!! Why didn't I think of this earlier?


I also did more research online and found that a more simple rectangle works with no extra side pieces.  I just left an opening on the bottom to turn it, sewed in the elastic while sewing around the outside the first time.  Then I turned the rectangles, and top-stitched all around.  Pressed in the pleats and then another line of top-stitching down each side to hold the pleats - VOILA!!  Much faster. 

5 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Your Grands are going to love the masks. I personally like the fit of the pleated masks over the flat ones.

Kate said...

Very cool masks. Making them reversible makes sense, as does simplifying the piecing.

Linda in Calif. said...

I think he is really going to like that. Fun on the inside, business on the outside. Beside if I had spiders I would wear them!

woolyjooly said...

My 13-y.o. nephew would LOVE a fish print mask! Lukas is becoming an avid angler, Jim says. So clever.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Cool they will love them especially to go to school:)