Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Quilts of Valor

First of all, the borders are now attached to the QOV that I was working on for one of my own family members.  I absolutely adore!! this layout.  I mentioned before that it's a Pat Sloan pattern called Winter Fun.  It's about 52" by 67", so a nice size. I really love those red/white bars in between the navy blue.  I'm thinking that our QOV group might need to use this layout at some point too, and it only uses 9 blocks. 


And second - or maybe it should have been first - our Prairie Winds Quilters finally got one of our Quilts of Valor presented to a veteran.  I borrowed (stole) this photo from the local newspaper website.  The quilt was presented at a very small town July 4th celebration which was also the 75th anniversary of that Legion group's beginning.  I've pasted the link to the whole story below.  Louise (one of our QOV members) went and presented the quilt, all while wearing a mask most of the day. 



I was very disappointed that this story has ONLY appeared in the online addition of the paper. The print copies only come out on Wednesday and Saturday since this whole Covid thing, so I understand the limitations.  But it's so important to recognize these veterans.  We're hoping to see if it appears in the Saturday edition which has more pages.  The young man wrote a very nice story.  Hopefully we'll be able to present some of the other quilts soon as well.  


And last, but not least, I picked up the Quilt of Valor top that Louise had just put together using blocks from our block drive.  We now have 2 tops ready to quilt made from these star blocks.  These are the exact same blocks as my own QOV at the top of this post, but put together with no sashing.  Our group had a sew day back in February and put together the first one.  Then Louise took the blocks for this one home with her when she came to pick up the certificate for the presentation, and finished this top. 


9 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

very pretty quilts...love those presentations...awesome!

Nann said...

I like the setting for the QOV you made for your relative. The presentations are so heartwarming.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The sashing makes a very attractive QOV. I’m thrilled your group is faithfully working on QOV during these crazy times. I hope the paper prints a longer story.

Anya said...

I agree, that's a great layout.

scraphappy said...

What beautiful quilts. Great to celebrate July with patriotic colors

The Joyful Quilter said...

What lovely QOV quilts and it's SEW nice that your group was able to make a presentation that the 4th of July celebration!!

grammajudyb said...

Way to go, getting those QOV done! I really like the he layout of yours. I great way to make use of nine blocks,

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful QOV quilts Sara! I really like the first one.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yeah for Veterans getting Quilts!! How wonderful that you are part of a very active group! Email the editor and if they don't run this story again then maybe on Veterans Day:)