Pages

Monday, November 13, 2023

Design Wall Monday - Nov 13

 What's on YOUR design wall this morning?  Mine has a lot of Quilts of Valor blocks, but I just had to play with some Christmas fabric yesterday.
https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/


Our Sew Vintage group leader demonstrated how to make these folded star ornaments, and gave us each a Styrofoam ball and pins to make one of our own.  I managed to cut and pin all of the little squares onto my ball while watching the Vikings game.  To finish this I need to wrap ribbon or fabric around the "equator" to cover the raw edges, and then add a loop to hang it.  This was a FUN little distraction from red, white, and blue.

I made one of these ornaments many years ago, with the year done in counted cross stitch in the center, but I couldn't remember how it was made.  So it was fun to learn again.  That old ornament will come out in a couple of weeks when I decorate the Christmas tree.


Twelve more Rail Fence blocks were added to the QOV stack.  These are made with 2.5" strips, and are so quick to make.  Sunday I also cut 2 more sets of binding for QOV, and pieced a backing for another one of the tops we have. 

This week I really need to get the Christmas pillow quilted, and the Christmas tree skirt sandwiched.  I may have to stitch together a couple of batting pieces for that skirt.  

6 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Pretty patriotic fabrics. I have never made one of those ornaments but have seen lots of them. Gotta have those squirrel projects!

LA Paylor said...

isn't that gorgeous Sara
LeeAnna

Bonnie said...

Nice ornament. I've never made on of them. But I'm trying to make a pine cone ornament with 2" folded squares. I've taken it apart 3 or 4 times although I've only gotten up 3 rows or so. We'll see how I do with it over the next few weeks. Great job on getting more rail fence blocks done. You've done a lot of back ground work getting bindings cut and backing put together. Have fun this week.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Love the ornament! I’ve seen them but have never made one. My sewing has basically come to a standstill until I can get some relief for my back pain.

Kate said...

My sister made similar ornaments for all of us a few years ago. Yours turned out beautifully. Happy stitching this week, sounds like you have a lot on your plate for the week.

Marsha Cooper said...

The folded stars are on my list of the things that I would like to learn.