Pages

Saturday, November 18, 2023

RSC23 - Week #46 - Autumn Wonders

Scrap happy!!!  That is me!  It's amazing to manage to make an entire new quilt (top) without purchasing a single yard of fabric. Every piece used in Autumn Wonders came from the scrap bins and the stash.  I'm going to pat myself on the back for this one. 


Autumn Wonders is one of Pat Sloan's sew-alongs, with 9 blocks introduced, 1 each week, along with this layout.  I deviated slightly from her pattern in a couple of ways.  Instead of HST in those spacer rows I made Flying Geese with the same fabric as the outer border.  And I made that outer border wider than the pattern suggested, so the finished quilt is 60 x 70.  

I made a second set of the 9 blocks, using patriotic fabrics but haven't quite decided yet how those will go together.  However . . . I used scraps from those patriotic fabrics too.


I needed 9 more 6.5" Rail Fence blocks to complete a kit for our Quilts of Valor group. But then I saw online a beautiful quilt with a few star blocks scattered in with the Rail Fence blocks.  So - 7 stars were appliqued onto 6.5" squares, and 2 final Rail Fence blocks joined the pack. 


I think this will make a really great Quilt of Valor.  The kit is ready for assembly.  Again, everything here came from scraps and that makes me very happy.  

What scrappy happiness is going on elsewhere?

9 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

The stars will definitely make the rail fence shine.

Mari said...

Congratulations Sara, Autumn Wonders looks so good! It's such a pretty quilt and I love the spacer rows. Great idea. The star blocks will add a nice touch to the rail fence quilt. Great job using up all those scraps!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Autumn Wonders is beautiful, Sara! It really is amazing that you could make it all from scraps. I like how you have those flying geese flying in different directions. Looking forward to seeing how your QOV projects come together, too!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is always neat to make a whole quilt from what you have in the bins - safe money and use it up

Kate said...

Autumn Wonders turned out beautifully. It's always a treat when you can put a quilt together from just the stash, though sometimes it's nice to have a reason to get something new to play with. Love the addition of the star blocks to the rail fence blocks. That will make a very cool QOV.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Excellent scrap and stash usage, Sara. Your Autumn Wonders top turned out beautifully! The QOV kit is going to make a lovely donation quilt. Adding those stars was SEW inspired!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Here is a virtual pat on the back from me! That quilt is a beauty and how clever to use your scraps for it. Such a win all round. And love the stars too. Quilts of Valor are so steeped in meaning for us all.

Preeti said...

Kudos to you, Sara. A fine finish made with your stash. Now that calls for a celebration - some fabric shopping, may be :-) Have a Happy Turkey Day!

Far Side of Fifty said...

WEell done, I love the red white and blue:)