Pages

Saturday, November 25, 2023

RSC23 Week #47

End of the year finishes are on my mind right now, as it probably is for many of us. This is possibly the last set of scrappy blocks that I'll try to move to being a quilt top before the new year begins. I'm betting that the RSC community is finishing up a ton of scrappy quilts right now.  Let's check it out.


These are the "baby" churn dash blocks - not in terms of size, but in fabric choices.  Forgive the dreary lighting in my picture.  Our guild made these 12" (finished) size blocks this year for the annual baby quilt we gift to the first baby of the new year at our local hospital.  I believe the committee made at least 3 quilt tops from the blocks collected from guild members.

The directions were to blend novelty prints with solid colors.  I made several blocks for the guild project, but then just kept making more because they were fun and quick. And I had a LOT of novelty prints.  And a lot of solids.


These turn out so cute with the solid color used as either the churn dash pieces or reversed as the background.  I even made some half size blocks, and used 4 of them together in this project.  One vertical row is sewn together, and maybe by the end of the week it will be a whole top. We'll see how the week goes.  No sewing will happen next weekend because I'll have a house full of kids and dogs here.  Both granddaughters have a swim meet here in Mitchell, so I'm happy that they're all staying at our house.  

One other "scrappy" project that I'm playing with right now is blocks made with fabrics from travel, because I am required to explore local quilt shops when on a road trip. Right?


These are blocks #4 through #7.  The top left block is from this year's South Dakota shop hop fabric. It has pheasants, buffalo, jackrabbits, and more on it.  The painted horse print was from New Mexico. The pink cactus was Arizona. The batik was from Alaska.


These are blocks #1 through #3 - Alaska (bears), Kansas (cowboy hats), and Colorado (pine trees).  There are more travel purchases lurking in the stash, including a couple of fun ones that were gifted to me by other people who travel.  So there WILL be more of these blocks in 2024.  


There are 2 of these wooden bookcases side by side in my sewing room, and my novelty prints were scattered among 3 canvas cubes in this half.  I made a HUGE mess while searching for what was left of that cowboy hat print from Dodge City, KS - which of course was hiding near the bottom of the blue cube and mixed in with all kinds of other fabric.  So it required some reorganization on my part.  The top red cube now holds only panels and border prints.  The bottom cube now holds only flannel.


The blue cube will now have only the kid-themed novelty prints.  But I will need to do some refolding before it will all fit back in there, and allow me to slide it back into the bookcase.  That might happen over this weekend - in between getting my Christmas tree up, and the laundry done.  And college basketball.  And a Quilts of Valor presentation this afternoon.

9 comments:

Kate said...

The novelt and solids churn dash blocks are really cute. Looks like you've been making the most of your holiday stitching time. Those suitcase blocks are going to make a very fun quilt.

Mari said...

Very cute suitcases! The piece of fabric you want is always at the very bottom. . .I think it's a rule! Enjoy the rest of the busy weekend.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your churn dashes will make a sweet quilt, Sara! And I love the suitcases - they're calling to me. Makes me want to go dig around for vacation prints in my stash!

Far Side of Fifty said...

You have so many irons in the fire all at once! AND still recovering from your hip surgery too! Be kind to yourself:)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

you had me at Churndashes haha!!
THose are so awesome!!!

Nann said...

The solid churns are a nice design element with the novelties. And, yes, taming the novelty stash...once it bursts out of the container where it's been compacted getting it back is a challenge.

Jenny said...

Arent your little suitcases just lovely! A great reminder of your travels.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

What a fabulous idea to purchase fabric souvenirs as you travel and then display them as suitcases on a quilt. So fanciful and cheery.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Working on two quilts AND some organizing, Sara? Kudos!!