I'm home!! It was so nice to get away for 3 days! We did some fun things, and also just relaxed and enjoyed being away. The purpose of the trip was to attend the Lindsey Stirling concert, and that was fabulous of course. If you just want to see my ONE small quilting finish, scroll to the end of this post. LOL
Monday morning we left Sioux Falls, and made 1 stop in Sioux City on the way to Omaha. The Sioux City stop was Heart and Hand Quilting to have Olivia pick out some fabric for her first sewing lesson that will happen this weekend hopefully. We also popped into a nearby book store (Book People) and a coffee shop. Then it was on to Omaha.
One bonus was staying with my niece and her husband. We spent one afternoon and evening in their pool, and sitting on their patio. Temps were in the 90s with really high humidity so that pool was wonderful. They have waterproof playing cards, so we played cards while floating around. Olivia is a swim team kid, so she really enjoyed that pool.
Tuesday morning we went to a wildlife "safari" park just off I-80 west of Omaha. Parts were drive through and other parts were walk through. The animals were all native prairie species such as elk, pelicans, bald eagles, deer, bison, etc. Then we visited the Strategic Air Command museum, followed by Baker's Candies. The SAC museum is a place I've visited before and would go again and again as it's fascinating. The candy shop - enormous and definitely a fun and tasty stop.
Then we braved that heat and went to the Lindsey Stirling concert. The concert was at an outdoor amphitheater, and our seats were wonderful. However it was still 93 degrees and sunny and HUMID when we arrived. That was the sweatiest crowd of people I've ever been in I think. The venue allowed empty clear plastic water bottles to be brought in, and had free refill stations set up all over. Thankfully. Once the sun went down it was better, but still so hot and humid.
Heart and Hand Quilting in Sioux City is close to the interstate so it was an easy stop on our way south. I've stopped there many times over the years on road trips. Olivia picked out a couple of dog prints to use for her pillowcase. And I found some Sasquatch batiks to use for a project that is floating around in my brain. There were a couple of cute table runner kits and some fat quarters that came home with me too of course. I've added all of my purchases to the "fabric IN" column on my stash tracking spreadsheet.
And - here is my one finish - the Tilda and denim floor pillow. The binding was done in the car on the way to Omaha. It's 24" inches square so I need to get a pillow form to put inside. The back is done with an "envelope" so the form can be just slipped in easily. The binding on the Windy Days wall hanging was begun while sitting around at my niece's house, but isn't finished yet so maybe next week there will be another finish to share.
For more finishes, please visit: https://alyciaquilts.blogspot.com/

2 comments:
Sounds like a great trip Sara. Would love to visit the SAC museum. I learned something new today from your post. I didn’t know waterproof cards were available! ☺️
What a fun floor pillow! Nice!!!!
Sharon M
Post a Comment