Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2022

Lots & lots of scrappy blocks

This week has been mostly scrappy sewing, with a few pillowcases thrown in for good measure. 


I mentioned a couple of days ago that I accidently dumped a box of 3.5" squares on the floor, which then prompted me to sort out any sets of 4 that could work in an I-Spy quilt.  There were LOTS, and they've been really fun to sew.  Most of these 7.5" blocks have scraps from various baby quilts and baby burp cloths that I've made over the past several years. For example, the 2 doggy print blocks on the right are from grandson Mason's baby quilt.  


These are mostly scraps from some recent guild baby quilt blocks, plus some pillowcases.  And the red/white/blue one on the top left is leftover from Quilt of Valor quilts.  I'll keep adding in polka dots or stripes or other prints that are fun. 


I made a total of 14 of these (Lori Holt pattern called Plaid) on Thursday, added to the 7 previously made.  And there are still a few sets of squares waiting for the sashing strips.  Knitting sheep, birds, dogs driving cars, monkeys, raccoons wearing hats and sweaters, cats - and more.  This should be a bright fun little donation quilt.  Or baby gift quilt. 


Now that this block collection is growing - and will continue to grow - I looked through the labeled project boxes to see if there was a box that I could empty out to use for these Plaid blocks.  That is still to be determined, but . . . I did find one more set of Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks in one of those project boxes.  I had forgotten all about that particular set of RSC blocks.  


The project box contains dozens of 3.5" x 6.5" bricks that were also cut from remnants of baby quilts, baby burp cloths, and kid pillowcases.  I see lots of the same prints that I am using in the Plaid blocks.  The box also contained a couple of sets of 4 blocks sewn together - basically the beginning of a quilt.  Each block is a brick with a 2" strip sewn to both long sides, so they are 6.5" square. 


Bonus find - there was also a big stack of finished 6.5" Brick blocks in the project box.  There were over 60 blocks in that box, more than enough for a child sized quilt.  Looking back at my blog I realized I had made most of these blocks late in 2021 and ending in summer 2022.  So they aren't too old, but I had completely forgotten about them.   


It was very exciting to find enough finished blocks for a whole quilt.  I'm going to try to get this top finished by the end of 2022.  And there are plenty of parts left in the project box to keep making more blocks during 2023.  

I'm linking up with RSC today:
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/

11 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

It's so nice to find blocks ready to be sewn into a flimsy, they will make a cute quilt. Happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you are busy with so many scraps! good luck on finishes before the end of the year if you are trying for some

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I really like your I Spy block setting! Those will make a fun quilt. And the brick blocks are a great find, too. You'll have them into a quilt top in no time!

karenbbsnow said...

Both blocks are great for scraps and I Spy quilts ....you are tempting me to chase another squirrel or two!

Susie H said...

What a great find. Those blocks will be loved by some child for years. Love the basket weave design they make. Polishing this one off makes room for the I Spy quilt. Double win!!!

Vicki in MN said...

Wow you did have a very fun scrappy event going on! Love that you found enough pieces all ready to put into a flimsy quickly:)

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a fun quilt those Plaid blocks will make, Sara!! What can you tell me about that project box tower? Measurement and brand would be helpful, as I am severely lacking in storage solutions in the "new" studio. Sweet score on the "found" blocks!!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

such a great use of leftovers and bricks! fun to get enough blocks to put into a quilt! quilty parts departments rock!!

grammajudyb said...

Fun fun kid’s quilt blocks! I enlarged your stack of brick blocks to see your neutral up close. I was excited to discover they are scrappy too! But what really caught my eye was the stack of project boxes! What a cool storage unit! Is it something you purchased or was it specifically made for project boxes? I need something similar!

Far Side of Fifty said...

That was a quick quilt! Good for you!

Nann said...

Isn't it terrific when all the components are right there, ready to be sewn?! And then the bonus bricks. Winner!