Pages

Friday, December 16, 2022

Snow day fun

Isn't this snowman fabric just perfect for snow day sewing?  This is Plaid block #30.  I just HAD to make one more of these blocks before hanging them all in the closet for now.  I'll make more of these in 2023 as part of my RSC blocks. 

 
Thursday was definitely a SNOW DAY.  Tuesday it rained all day, and felt more like April outside.  Wednesday morning it changed to snow, but it was wet and sticky snow.  Wednesday night the cold and wind moved in, along with more snow.  And most of Thursday we were in a Winter Storm Warning. I've lived in the upper Midwest my whole life, so this is just normal winter, right?  And we desperately need any moisture we get, so no complaints from me.  

I really had to laugh because my husband shoveled a path on the back deck so he could refill 2 of the bird feeders.  But before he could get back out there with the seed bricks, the squirrels were exploring the path.  He greases the pole so it makes it harder for them to empty those feeders.  One big squirrel has figured out how to leap from the railing and hang upside down. But the rest just hang out on the deck and on the ground to clean up what the birds push out.  So entertaining to watch the birds - and the squirrels. Our kitchen bay window looks out on this deck so we do a lot of bird watching.

Late on Wednesday afternoon I finished binding the Hello Birdie quilt.  I just adore the bird blocks, so I know I'll make more of them.  There is a purple batik one (tucked in with my pattern) that was my practice block when the pattern first came out.  So maybe the next ones need to be all bright batiks.

As a teacher for decades, I'm not a stranger to being home on snow days.  My husband always teased me that the only time I actually baked was when I was snowed in with the kids and didn't have school.  I still feel the urge to bake during a blizzard. Since Christmas is coming I just couldn't resist making some spritz cookies this week.  And then they had to go into the freezer so we didn't eat them all before the kids and grandkids come on New Years day.  

The other baked item was Rosemary Spiced Nuts.  They are a big favorite around here.  Any kind of nuts you like will work, but I tend to stick to cashews, peanuts, almonds, and pistachios.  They are baked with a spice and olive oil mixture.  What's not to like about rosemary, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, and Italian seasoning?  The recipe is one I found on Pinterest.  

5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the spiced nuts sound great. I need to check and see if there is an electric spritz cookie maker I can not do the squeezing needed for making them. I have the bird feeders out and so far the squirrels stay on the ground, we put them where the squirrels have no place to jump to them to climb up

Nann said...

I thought about you when I saw the weather report from the Dakotas! "A 390-stretch of I-90 was closed"-- hmm, that's basically the entire length of the state! Glad you are warm and safe (lights! heat!). I've commented, "Look at all the birds at our squirrel feeder."

Anne Kirby said...

Spritz cookies are our family cookie, if there is such a thing! My mom found her recipe in the newspaper in the 50s.

Kate said...

Your Birdie quilt is really cute. Congratulations on the finish. Enjoy the snow and the baking.

maggie fellow said...

birdies are so cute. I look forward to seeing your rsc project with the snowman