Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2022

One final scrappy finish for 2022

 This Windmill quilt will be the last scrappy finish for the year.  Binding will begin today.


The Windmill blocks were part of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks for 2022, and used up lots of orphan charm (5") squares.  Each block used 4 squares - 2 of each fabric.  


I made another Windmill quilt earlier this year, using 30s prints with a light background.  This one will possibly be donated or gifted as a baby quilt.  And there is one more Windmill top hanging in the closet to be finished up some other time.  Maybe in 2023. 

This Windmill block is one I've used over and over again through several years, especially for donation quilts.  This is a fast and easy block pattern, except for squaring up each section before making the actual block.  But it's worth the time to square them up before sewing them into the block.

No pattern used now, although originally I saw it in a magazine about 20 years ago and it was called Rolling On.  Now, I just stack the 4 charm squares all right sides UP, and then cut in a diagonal 1.5" inches from top left to 1.5" bottom right.   And after sewing those blades together, I square each section to 4.25" inches.  I think this would be a good pattern for a layer cake too, with that diagonal made about 3" from the corners.  I might have to try that this year with a layer cake.  

4 comments:

Kate said...

Congrats on a very fun finish!

Vicki in MN said...

I have always loved this windmill block, so fun to look at! Congrats of the finish! I dug out a UFO and started quilting it yesterday. Gotta get that pile under control;)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like that pattern it makes a nice quilt

Astrid said...

Congrats on the finish. It's a beautiful quilt.