Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2022

Scrappy Bricks & more

Merry Christmas Eve!!

When the weather is this cold, and the snow is blowing, then it's a perfect time to spend most of the day in my sewing room where I could stay toasty warm and have some fun.  

This was a fun Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt - partly because it's so cheerful, but also because the finished blocks were a fun discovery.  A couple of weeks ago, I discovered that there were over 60 of these Bricks blocks in the project box just waiting to become a quilt.  


And now they have become THIS . . .


It feels so good to have one more RSC project at the flimsy stage before the end of the year.  And there are lots of colorful Brick pieces still in that project box, so there will be another one happening.  Eventually, but not right away!


This block is for the Scrappiness Is Happiness sew-along.  It's called Santa Hat and finishes at 10 x 14".  I used a light grey background for this one, and the contrast with the cuff and pom-pom on the hat isn't the best.  We'll see how it works in the quilt when more blocks are done.  It was a very quick and easy block, so if I need to change out the colors then I'll just remake it.


It's a good thing that there isn't a new Sewcialites block this week, because it took me all week to get this one made in all 4 of my colors and sizes.  


Thank goodness for my design boards.  This one definitely needed some focus to make sure the pieces were in the right locations.  That is why it took so long to finish them.  Now I'm caught up and ready for Block #9 when it is released.  


Seven more scrappy Irish Chain blocks were constructed from the scrap bins. There is now a pretty substantial collection of these, but not nearly enough yet for a quilt.  They'll continue in 2023 as part of my scrappy sewing. 


And I used the leftover green batik from a recent quilt backing to add 3.5" squares to all of the purple 4-patch blocks that have been laying around forever.  The 4-patch blocks - 51 of them - were from a project I decided not to finish, so they've been just waiting for some inspiration.  We'll see where these go, but they are definitely on my UFO list for 2023.  

I'm linking up with Rainbow Scrap Challenge today:
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/

11 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the colors of that little star block! Merry Christmas

Nann said...

It's great to have a quilt half-made before you begin.
Merry Christmas to you and your family!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The brick quilt is so fun, Sara! I'm guessing it's kind of an I Spy quilt with those fun prints. Love seeing what else you're working on,too. Stay warm and Merry Christmas!

Vicki in MN said...

Great projects kept you busy and warm! I love that teeny star block. I am glad you had the courage to do the small ones so that I can enjoy looking at them, hehe.

Shepherdess55 said...

Merry Christmas!
Wishing you all the best in 2023.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Wow you have been busy!! I love all of your projects but that little star is sure cute!! Merry Christmas!

Cathy said...

Oh, you have so many fun projects going. I love your scrappy bricks flimsy!! Have a safe, warm and Happy Christmas!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wow that bright tiny block is very pretty! Happy Christmas!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Those tiny Socialite blocks are so adorable!!! Congrats on getting a RSC to the flimsy stage!!!

Kim said...

I like that brick quilt design. I would make a fun hide-and-seek type of quilt.

Moneik said...

Where did you get the brick pattern? I think that would work well for some QOV fabrics I have laying around.