Pages

Friday, December 23, 2022

Nearly caught up and making do

The colors are NOT showing up very true here, but this is the 6" batik version of the most recent Sewcialites block.  It's called Interwoven, and is a bit challenging to make sure the colors are lined up correctly.  And the problem with the colors is probably connected to the lamp issues I'm having.  

My final version of this block is the 3" one with the black background.  The pieces are cut, and laying on my design board.  But I decided it was time to put away some things and also to work on my project lists for 2023.  Plus there were gingersnap cookies waiting to be baked upstairs.

 It's difficult to see what's going on here, but I'm trying hard to "make do" with my Ott Light floor lamp, until I can find a replacement.  This lamp shines onto my cutting table, where it's critical to have enough light.  Without it, there isn't enough light in that area to even see marks on a ruler.  My sewing room has lots of space, but horrible lighting. 


The lamp part works just fine, but the stand has broken at one of the seams where the sections join.  First I taped with duct tape.  That worked for a couple of days.  Then I added a layer of heavier duct tape when it began to bend again.  When that wasn't enough I added some very sticky tape that has a thin metal shield.  And yesterday this poor lamp was draped over my cutting table like it had fainted.  So I taped a thick curtain rod alongside the stand to give it more stability.  Can it make it for another week or so until I can get somewhere to buy a new one?  Or maybe I'll find something better than a curtain rod for support.  

6 comments:

Ramona said...

This is a great block and I love your fabric choices! I hope your curtain rod does the trick for your lamp.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

taping the curtain rod to the lamp should help. The block looks colorful

Tired Teacher 2 said...

That’s a job for Santa! Did you put the lamp on your wish list?

woolyjooly said...

All I want for Christmas is some gingerbread cookies. Really. I cannot even find ginger snaps at the grocery for the past month! Our oven died in October so I can't bake any. wahhhhhhh.

Nann said...

3"? Wow, that's some intricate piecing. Neat design, though. I'd use a sturdy stake to support the Ott Lite. Have you considered getting an electrician to put in better lighting? (Especially if you'll keep that as your sewing room for some years to come.)

Joanne in Massachusetts said...

Maybe a pool noodle sliced along one side and wrapped around the light pole might offer sufficient support?