Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2022

More blocks and some December goals

 One of the block patterns that I had flagged in the Scrappiness Is Happiness book was Plaid - which is the Week #7 block for the sew-along.  So, I'm now a week ahead because I just had to make this one.


There is a blue post-it note marking this page because I loved how the whole scrappy quilt looks that was made just with this simple block.  Plaid is only a 7.5" block, but uses very basic piece sizes.  I have a whole box full of 3.5" squares, and lots of 1.5" squares and strips too.


While I had this block on my radar I played with a couple more versions of it for possible Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks for the future.  And my little box of 3.5" squares is overflowing anyway.  The cat version here used the leftovers from some baby quilt blocks I made for guild.  I'll show those later.


And this one is done with squares from that little box.  This is a 5-minute block so it would be perfect for RSC, or for any other block drive.  A whole quilt done with a totally scrappy set of these blocks will be really fun, especially for a child using fun novelty prints and bright colors.  OMG - I have too many ideas floating around my head lately.  And some of those ideas are a definite distraction from finishing some on-going UFOs and WIPs.  

I have managed to sew the blocks into rows for the Nanci's Stars quilt, and now I need to sew those rows into a quilt top.  That is one of my goals for this week.  

Since today is December 1, I really need to set a few goals to focus on this month.  Anything beyond these goals will just be a bonus.  

#1 - make pillowcases for my 5 grandkids for Christmas
#2 - finish the applique for Humble Homes (PHD for 2022)
#3 - keep up with Sewcialites & Scrappiness Is Happiness (sew-alongs)
#4 - get Nanci's Stars quilt ready for the quilter
#5 - plan final layout for Country Bunnies (last PHD project of 2022)
#6 - plan my UFO and PHD lists for 2023
#7 - bind at least one quilt

7 comments:

Kate said...

Plaid is a simple block, but it really showcases the fabrics you use. A scrappy quilt out of it would be a lot of fun. Good luck with your December goals. I'm just hoping for progress this month.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

those prints look good in that block pattern

Gretchen Weaver said...

Very cute blocks, perfect for novelty fabrics, happy stitching! Hope you can complete your list!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Looking forward to seeing these blocks used in a quilt.

Vicki in MN said...

That's a really healthy December list along with enjoying Christmas.
I have been making a list of things to do come January when things settle down, just so I don't forget them when the time comes and I waste time not knowing what I want to do.

Jenny said...

As you say, a great block for future RSC sewing! I've done something similar myself, and the blocks stitch up very quickly.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wouldn't that make a bunch of great blocks for one of those I spy quilts! Oh and I really like that cat fabric!