Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Playing with strips

I have a To Do list for this week, but Monday I spent a little time playing with jelly roll strips.  Today I'll get back to working on something else on the list.


It started because I was digging into the basket of leftover random jelly roll strips to find more yellow.  There were actually 4 of the yellow honeycomb print strips and the lighter bee print. And that pink strip just jumped out of the basket as well.  Two Zipper blocks were quick to stitch up.  I have 44 of these Zipper blocks (8 x 12 finished) so far but more will be needed for a twin sized quilt.

And there was more done with the yellow honeycomb and bee prints.


I've been looking at various ideas lately for string piecing ideas, and kept seeing various hexagon shapes done with strings.  So of course I just had to play a little.  I'm calling these blocks Spinners, but I'm sure there are other names for these.  This block used equilateral triangles cut with the seam (2 strips) going vertically.  The strips were sewn exactly the same for both of these layouts, but I cut them with the colors reversed for half.


And if you cut the same equilateral triangles, but with the seam going horizontally, then the Spinners look totally different.  Both variations are fun, so more of them may be made from some of those strips in that basket.  The yellow ones are about 7" across and the red/white ones are about 8" across.  So I think they'll make some really cute hot pads or mug rugs. Oops - just another distraction. 

4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your hexagons

chrisknits said...

Wonderful projects going on! I love the costume.

Kate said...

Those hexie blocks are really fun, amazing how different each set looks. Enjoy your stitching time this week.

Vicki in MN said...

I am liking your hexie spinners!