Pages

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Keeping the pieces organized

Like most quilters, I have processes in place to keep pieces and rows organized while I sew. Today I'm working on the Christmas Grand Adventure quilt.

I used to pin numbered sticky notes to the left side block of each row.  But now I use these numbered pins.  And I always put them in the upper left corner of the left side block.  Then I stack the blocks across that row so the right side block is on the bottom.  The numbered pin stays in that left side block until the row is together so I know which side to keep adding blocks.  This works for me.
As I start to add more rows to #1, this is my marker - a big safety pin with a bright button.  It always goes into the upper left corner of row 1. That way I keep track of where the top row is, and don't get any section turned upside down.  What processed do you use to keep things organized as you sew?


Check out Design Wall Monday at: http://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

I use a similar way to keep track of rows: I write numbers with a Sharpie on my flower head pins. I like the idea of the safety pin and will try it. Thanks for the tip.

Warm Quilts said...

Those numbered pins are a great find! I've used the safety pin with button method, too. I've also lightly written the row numbers on the back of the upper left block.

Churn Dash said...

It's always a challenge to keep things organised. I'm still at the sticky notes and pins stage!
Helen

Moneik said...

I also use numbered pins or sticky notes and pin in the upper left corner, but I always do left to right, top to bottom, so I start with row 1 and 2 and sew them together, then add row 3, row 4 etc. They are always stacked top to bottom, so I can web them together. I very rarely ever have an issue with blocks turned our out of place, using this system.