Pages

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Leaders and Enders

What do you use as "leaders and enders" when you sew?  A lot of the time I just use a little leftover scrap to run through between other piecing to save thread and to help avoid my machine "swallowing" those little tips and corners of triangles.

In the past year or so I've been trying to be more deliberate about it - mostly using my postage stamp pieces or using string blocks as my leader/ender. I have 3 small cookie tins full of 1.5" squares cut from scraps and so I've been playing with them lately as leader/ender pieces - ending up with little 4-patches that are 2.5".



Last week I saw a quilt online somewhere that was made entirely of these postage stamp 4-patches, separated by solid cream squares.  Well, I also have a lot of 2.5" squares from scraps, and there are plenty of white ones. So now I'm adding the squares to the 4-patches.  I'm thinking it won't take long to make a doll quilt from these units.  And it's making a tiny dent in those postage stamp pieces.



Another thing I do as leaders/enders sometimes - a string block. I have a TON of scraps and need to make better use of them.  I've done 3 donation quilts using string blocks, so it's time to make another.  I had a few 10" muslin foundation squares already cut and ready to use.  And I also saw several scappy log cabin variations online recently. But maybe I need to focus on just one leader/ender project at a time.

5 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

I need to start turning my 2.5" scraps into something useful.

Ramona said...

I usually use the quilt I am making as the leader/ender pieces. If I use other blocks as leader/enders, I get too impatient and want to finish that project first. It's great to make two quilts at once, though!

Sherry said...

You could use one "extra" project as a "leader" and a different one as the "ender".

That way you would be working on 3 different projects at the same time (if you get bored with only working on 1 or 2 at a time).

I try to do that because I get bored easily. But then the challenge becomes not getting too confused about what I am doing.

Nann said...

I usually begin L&Es as exactly those -- then I get impatient and crank out a whole bunch of units. My go-to L&Es are HSTs that begin with 3" squares. I put lights and darks together and slice on the diagonal. Every dozen or so I trim them to 2.5". They come in handy in so many projects. String blocks on 10" foundations are the "basic" HeartStrings block. I've made more than a thousand over the years. My current goal is 48 HS blocks each month. (Most HS quilts use 48 blocks.)

Moneik said...

I've been doing 2.5"x5" bricks, sewn together and then cut into 2 patches, then made into 4 patches, to eventually make 16 patches. I've done several quilts with these, but the current one is called Sunny Skies, a free pattern I found online. I also use my "extra" strips from the scrappy trip around the world and rip those into 2 patches as well. My most recent l/e project is making 4 patches from the leftover strips of my yellow/blue scrappy trip around the world. I'm making a Blue Ridge Beauty based off of Bonnie Hunter's pattern, but using 2.5" instead of 2" scraps. I find such joy in making extra quilts from leaders/enders. I love your 1.5" square box. I may have to try that next.