Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Stay At Home Round Robin

 I'm almost caught up with the rounds for this fun little Round Robin project - entirely on line.  We started with any block of our own that we wanted.  Round 1 added piano keys, Round 2 added plus signs, and Round 3 added flying geese.  This week Round 4 will add checkerboards.  Get the details here if you decide to dive in too.  

https://www.quiltfabrication.com/2021/01/stay-at-home-round-robin-2021.html


I liked my piano keys but my first attempt at the plus signs was not a success.  Sometimes what we picture in our heads just doesn't work out in reality.  I wanted just a couple of plus signs on each side, and I wanted them to be slightly "off set".  This is what side one looked like.  UGLY!!!  That solid white was so shocking, and the width just looked wrong.  So I came up with the layout above with the white playing a much smaller role.  And I used small prints on white instead of the solid.  


Luckily I had only sewn that one side and it took just a couple of minutes to pick out that seam.  The strip with the plus signs will go into my orphan block box and maybe will be perfect for some other project down the road.  I'm so glad I didn't waste a lot of time or fabric on this failure. LOL

Now I just need to figure out how I want that checkerboard to look, and decide if I need a lighter strip between the current piece and the new parts. 

9 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

This project is getting your creative juices flowing! I like what you’ve done so far.

Moneik said...

It's turning out really neat. I think you'll find a great way to incorporate the checkerboard.

Vasudha said...

I love what you did with the plus and flying geese blocks. Looks great!

woolyjooly said...

Love love love the geometrics in this one! Great job, Sara.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I like the placement in the top square, sounds like a fun project! Stay warm!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Sara! Your SAHRR piece is particularly striking. By changing up that border the piece looks completely different! WOW! I didn't mind your first attempt at the Plus Sign blocks at all but I like the second version as well. Thanks so much for linking up and playing along with us. ~smile~ Roseanne

chrisknits said...

I think either one would have worked, but I do like how you proceeded!

Laura said...

Lovely job of making your quilt balanced. It is difficult when we don't know what is coming next. Fabulous problem solving.

Kate said...

You did a great job incorporating each element into the new borders. Looking forward to seeing what you decided to do with the checker boards in the next round.