Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2021

Weekend sewing

Yesterday and today have been bone-chilling cold, and today it's snowing as well.  Guess it doesn't matter because I wasn't planning to go anywhere. My plan was to stay home and sew - and watch some college basketball on TV. Oh - and the Super Bowl today of course. 

I so enjoyed the sunshine yesterday but today we are back to grey skies and grey light.  And that grey light means that color just doesn't show up correctly no matter where I try to photograph my projects.  The Flamingo Quick Strippee quilt is finally a flimsy and ready to quilt.  


One of my favorite child or baby quilt patterns, the Quick Strippee is a free pattern from MaryQuilts.com.  The pattern is here:  https://maryquilts.com/quick-strippie/  It's simply cut from 3 different fabrics in 3 sizes of strips across the whole width.  I love how it allows a fun novelty print to be the focus.  And it's so quick that normally you could sew this easily in one short day - unless you get lazy like me and keep setting it aside to sew other things. 

I did get a better picture of the colors under a lamp.  It's has very bright aqua prints with narrow gold strips separating them.  The flamingoes and toucans are so cute. 
 

I can check off 3 more pillowcases from the ones I kitted up earlier in the winter.  Both granddaughters will get zebras pillowcases on their birthdays.  Sophia will be 9 in March and Olivia will be 8 in April.  This zebra print is so cute with a colorful stripe on each animal.   


Jonah will get this insect pillowcase when he turns 8, also in April.  I searched and searched for an interesting bug print.  Finally, at Spoonflower, I found this one with the scientific names of each insect.  He's fascinated with bugs, so maybe he will decide to learn some of the Latin names for them too. 


And this classic car pillowcase is one we'll keep.  Our family room sofa always has a bed type pillow hanging out at one end - for napping of course.  I'm tired of the winter pillowcase currently in use, so this one will replace it.  


Lots of other sewing happened this weekend - blocks and binding included.  But I'll leave those for another day.  

3 comments:

LA Paylor said...

Oh Sara I am in love with the flamingos but those pillow cases are just the best! those zebra are so modern and usable in black and white swirls! LeeAnna

Sara said...

I actually thought of you when I bought the flamingo fabric. I knew you would get a kick out of it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nice pillowcases! Your Grands will love them!