Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Another squirrel has crossed my path

Just when I’m trying to establish some focus to my sewing, something new snags my attention.  And this really demanded some play time. I’m calling this block Pyramid. 

I’ve been seeing so many creative uses of triangles lately on various social media.  And it caused me to pull out a book I purchased last winter that was all about triangles. The book has some great directions for use of various rulers and for making triangle blocks of different sizes - without any paper piecing.  Cutting from strips is so much quicker and easier.  So I did a little math to make this block.


I decided to start with 3.5” strips to cut the small triangles, and used my 60 degree ruler. I needed 9 background triangles, and 3 colorful ones from the 3.5” strips.  Once those were sewn together into a pieced triangle, then I could measure for the size of the big section which ended up being 6.5” high.
 

My finished Pyramid block is 12.5” tall.  I’m not sure exactly how many of these would be needed to make a decent sized quilt, but I do think they will be a fun addition to my RSC block sets going forward.  Playing with triangles will provide some relief from the more traditional blocks I’m usually working on.  And making a couple of these each month will add up quickly.

After all, there is no rush.  I just want to ENJOY THE PROCESS.  

6 comments:

Ramona said...

I love triangle quilts. Your blocks are going to make a fun quilt. The book is new to me and is one I’m going to look to get.

Vicki in MN said...

Oh that looks like a really fun block to work on!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the blocks you are making is called "Panama Pyramids. It has been out for sometime I think it is a Linda Collins pattern although of course that would just be in the setting she used as it is actually a common block - pretty

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love your pyramid blocks! But I'm not going to get squirreled into another project, happy stitching!

Far Side of Fifty said...

What fun for you and they look great too!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

An interesting block, especially for the RSC challenge. It’s big enough that it wouldn’t be fiddly to sew. Have fun.