Pages

Monday, August 29, 2022

Design Wall Monday - how to finish it?

 What's on my design wall this morning?  It's project that definitely needs some ideas and inspiration for finishing.


Early this summer I visited a quilt shop with my daughter and granddaughter to use the gift certificate they had given me for my birthday.  One of the things I purchased was a kit for 2 hot pads.  The kit included the cute bee fabric, along with everything needed except the batting or insulbright - even fabric for backing and binding the hot pads.  I also bought one extra fat quarter of that main bee print - just because it was so cute.  


Once I had those 2 blocks made for the hot pads, I realized that I had enough of nearly all of the fabrics remaining to make one more of these blocks.  I just needed a little bit of a black print for the star points and that was easily pulled from my scraps.  So now there are 3 blocks.


Here's where I need some inspiration - do I use all 3 blocks to make hot pads, using the kit fabrics for backing?  I always feel like putting pretty fabrics onto the backs of things is a waste of the pretty.  Or do I use that pretty fabric to sash and border these blocks to make them bigger and possibly into pillows?  Or how about using all 3 in a table runner?  

I just can't decide what these want to grow up to be.  Recommendations and ideas are certainly welcome. For now these will just hang out until a plan presents itself.

And the other project on the design wall?  Well that is a table runner kit that has been waiting patiently for some attention.  The Autumn Garden kit came in the cutest box, and it has been sitting on the corner of my cutting table most of the summer - tempting me.  Its turn has come, and I began the cutting process over the weekend.  
 

We'll see how far I get on it this week before I leave on Friday for a family reunion.  FYI - there are LOTS of little pieces in those flowers and pumpkins.   

What's on your design wall today?

8 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

How about making the blocks into placemats, add some more fabric to get the size you want. I love your new table runner project, I have eyed those coneflowers!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looks like a cute kit - hope you are feeling good for the family reunion you mention

Nann said...

What a dilemma! But the hot pads would be the most practical.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love those black and white prints with the yellow and bee print! My go-to small project is always a tablerunner because it can be out all the time and you can really enjoy it. The Autumn Garden project looks fun, too!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh those are such happy blocks!!!
Yes?
haha - I have a hard time with those decisions too! GOod luck!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Such pretty fabric. I always like darker colors in hot pads...perhaps because I am a sloppy cook/baker! I vote for a table runner...or two placemats and a hot pad:) I am thinking about the next mosaic project but I have two in the works now...summer and Christmas...but Fall and a Snowflake design are both calling my name:)

Bonnie said...

If you decide to make two potholders the last block would make a great tote bag. You might be able to pull fabric from your stash to make the tote bag. I like using table runners on our table so I might be inclined to use them as a runner. The blocks are really cute.

Donna in KS said...

Those blocks would become a cute summer table runner at my house. Very cute!