Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2022

Another scrappy quilt

 The layout planning is done, so now it's time to start assembling it into rows.


This is Nanci's Stars.  It's all made with the same blocks and all in batiks.  The darker blocks were done with monthly RSC colors this year, and the neutral ones were done this last month.  Because I've taken several block sets from RSC and set them into quilt tops recently, my mind is turning to what blocks to have fun with going forward.  I love making a few at a time until I have enough for a quilt. 


And just because I'm so easily distracted, I've been playing every week with possible future scrappy projects.  There were empty skirt hangers in the closet that needed new block sets.  So now I have a few for "seed" hanging in there with the instructions attached.

The blocks above are a variation of an Irish Chain.  Very fast, very easy, and simple to adjust to pretty much any size you want to do.  These are 8.5" unfinished and used pieces cut in increments of 2.5", 4.5" (big square) and 6.5".  Since I have small bins holding those scrap sizes they were quick to put together.   If I went to 6.5" squares in that bottom corner, I could use up more of my guild friendship squares in the bin.  Then those other pieces would be cut using 3.5" measurements. Voila! - a 12" block is born just like that.  


Earlier this fall I tried out these Brick blocks - and again they could be made in any size you might want.  These were cut with 3.5" x 6.5" bricks and used 2" side strips.  It's a 6.5" block that would be turned in alternating directions.  Another great potential scrappy project for future.  And I have a project box FULL of bricks cut this size already - mostly in fun kid themed novelty prints.  


In mid-October I played with this scrappy block - from the Border Creek Station website.  This one is from their 2022 Stashbuster Challenge.  I actually made 2 blocks as test blocks.  These will be fun too.


And of course there are the small heart blocks too.  Notice how often I use white backgrounds?  I love the brightness of white backgrounds, so I make a lot of my scrappy quilts with scrappy white in the background.  Or creams, or other neutrals.  Guess I should think about stepping out of that comfort zone more often.  Or not.  LOL

Check out more Rainbow Scrap Challenge fun -
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/

12 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like how the dark and light blocks alternate - at first I thought you were using a second block pattern and then saw it was the same.

Kate said...

You have some fun scrappy projects in the works. I was one for just white in my backgrounds till a couple of years ago. I've tried to branch out to include gray and black. Black is such a great neutral for bright scraps.

Mari said...

White backgrounds are perfect for brights, but I also get tired of them sometimes. O tiny dot on white or something else subtle is a nice change. Love the quilt at the top! The neutral alternate blocks are genius.

Cathy said...

Wow, so many great scrappy idea blocks. Don’t be surprised if some of us join along. I’ve got my string and 2.5” scrap blocks decided, but I need something that uses bigger chunks. Those Irish Chain variation blocks look like they’d be fun (because I’m not doing elephants next year!!)

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Lots of lovely scrappy sewing going on here! I like white for brights, too. I'm always on the hunt for white prints with small bright figures, but plain white is sometimes the best. I'm seriously thinking about your bricks design, I've got a thing about rectangles lately!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Nanci's Stars are going to make a beautiful quilt, Sara! I love the bright blocks interspersed with the neutral blocks. I'm thinking about next year's blocks, too - your Irish Chain variation is a neat one!

LA Paylor said...

love the heart strips, well all the quilting is pretty

Deb A said...

I love your block ideas you have been playing with. Such fun quilts they are going to make.

Far Side of Fifty said...

All your blocks are pretty, I do like the yellow and lime green because it is so cheerful!

Vicki in MN said...

You have some fun blocks to work with in the near future! If I wasn't busy with my shop I would go start a donation quilt right now-or finish one:0 Maybe in January I can do that.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finishing up that block set, Sara! I really like the subtlety of your light neutral ones. Fun options for next years RSC! I'm tempted by the Stash Buster blocks.

Susie H said...

Very pretty finish! I love the neutral blocks of the same pattern. Really adds interest.