Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2023

RSC23 - week #1 of blue

Isn't it fun to start a new color at the beginning of a month?  Thank you to Angela for hosting the Rainbow Scrap Challenge each year!  The main blue project I worked on this week was finishing the Snowflake pillow that I posted about yesterday.  

I did play with other blue projects this week too.  There are several on-going block sets happening around here that will eventually become quilts.  And I've "fluffed up" the blue scraps so the bin looks more full than it did before.  


A few of these 4.5" blocks have been added to the box for the Small Hearts quilt.  When there is a good assortment of colors again, then I'll get the next couple of vertical rows sewn.  


I had mostly depleted the heart blocks I made in 2022 in the first 4 rows.  But there is no rush with finishing this quilt, so the heart collection will keep accumulating each month.

A few pyramid blocks were made too.  These have scrappy backgrounds - some white, some beige/tan/cream, some neutral prints.  I didn't count, but I think there are about 30 of these blocks hanging in the closet. They are 12" tall, but I want to make a big quilt with them, so will need more.


A couple of the scrappy Irish Chain blocks were added.  I have 2 rows of these blocks sewn together already and have enough blocks for 2 more rows.  The blocks finish at 8".

And 1 new Stashbuster block (from Border Creek Stations) joined the first 2 test blocks I made last fall.  This was their 2022 stashbuster challenge block, and finishes at 10".  There is a new block for their 2023 challenge, and patterns from previous years' challenges.  The patterns are free, and the new block for 2023 has instructions for 3 different sizes.  
https://www.bordercreekstation.com/the-stash-buster-challenge.htm

What are you playing with in 2023 for RSC?
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

great blocks - I tried the Pyramid Block once but just couldn't get into it - probably if I had done it in larger pieces than the small ones I was doing

cityquilter grace said...

wow such pretty RSC projects...loving that heart quilt...so simple but colorful and easy too no doubt!

Vicki in MN said...

I just went and checked the 2023 stash buster block. I like it, but I wish it wasn't cutting at 1/8".

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your pillow turned out so pretty! A perfect beginning of January project. I enjoyed seeing your other blocks and WiPss, too. Still loving the hearts - what size are they?

Chantal said...

WOW! I LOVE your pillow. It's so beautiful and striking. I have to go check your post of yesterday to see more of it. Simply gorgeous! I like the variety of projects you have for the new year. It will be fun to see them grow. Enjoy! ;^)

Maggie said...

So many beautiful blocks and projects on the go!

quiltingbydawn said...

Wow! You have quite a few scrappy projects going on! I need to finish up my 2022 Stash Buster quilt. I need to sandwich it and then quilt it! looking forward to it being moved to being finished!

scraphappy said...

Hard to go wrong with a rainbow of hearts. The pyramids are coming along nicely too. Lots of fun with blue this week!

Jeanna said...

Those pyramid blocks look challeging but I imagine they make a pretty quilt.