Pages

Monday, December 18, 2023

Design Wall Monday - Dec 18

 Only 2 weeks remaining in 2023!  I have no deadlines looming.  So I'm just planning to slow down now and savor the season.  There is some binding to work on, lots of scraps to play with, and my stitching plans and ideas for 2024 to refine.  I'm a list maker you know.

A little more sewing happened to finish the Clue #4 units for Bonnie Hunter's mystery Indigo Way.  For now I'm only making 1/4 of the units.  These turned out very cute.  Half of each set have red triangles, and the other half has light blue triangles.  I cut the pieces for these slightly oversized, and then squared up each block once it was sewn. 

So far her weekly clues have involved matching sets of 4 units, except for a few matching sets of 6.  When I hear "sets of 4" my brain assumes those will go into blocks together.  But the sets of 6 have me completely stumped. It's a Mystery quilt, so that is the whole idea most likely.  We'll see what Clue #5 brings this week.


Because a lot of reds, dark blue and neutral scraps are out in my workspace for Indigo Way, I am also working with those colors for some Quilts of Valor blocks again.  The pieces have been cut for several blocks - Floating Star, Brighten, 4-patches, and more.  


This one began with a 6.5" star block that was leftover from a box of blocks donated to us.  I just framed it to bring it up to 12.5", and it will go into another QOV Sampler.


The Brighten block was a Sewcialites block from at least a year ago.  I've done a few in Rainbow colors for RSC, and there were a few in patriotic prints.  Two new ones have joined the stack.  This block will also be one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks for 2024.

Once I finish sewing the QOV blocks already cut, then I will try to organize those patriotic fabrics again.  The bin has become very messy lately. 

And I will cut the pieces for the final Saturday Sampler spool blocks.  I'm hoping to work on putting that quilt top together in the next couple of weeks, but the Show n Tell isn't until the second Saturday in February, so I can take my time.

What's on your design wall today?

7 comments:

Kate said...

You've done well with your approach to make just 1/4 of the unts. I did 1/2 this year and it's still a lot. Your patriotic blocks all look great. Enjoy your stitching time this week. I'm not ready for Christmas, so I have holiday chores that will come before my stitching time this week.

Bonnie said...

I like the idea of taking it easy this last week before the holiday. And, look at the wonderful blocks you've been making. I need to look up the Brighten block... I really like it. I save the Sewcialites blocks and refer to them when I'm looking for a new block to try out. Thanks for sharing this idea.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like your plans for the week! They sound very much like mine. Those are fun reds and blues in your Indigo Way blocks. Have a great week, Sara!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Ohhh, I love seeing your blocks, Sara!!! I just started my Indigo Way last night--yikes! Too much going on here until now. Hopefully I'll get there, behind schedule as it may be! Your QOV blocks are fab!!! That Brighten block will make a great RSC block, too!!!

Laurie at Lauries Place said...

It's great to be able to sit back and relax with Christmas sewing done at Christmas time. It usually doesn't happen that way for me because I usually have lots of projects dangling and needing to be finished. I'm not making gifts this year so don't have the dangling gifts to finish...but I do have lots of projects I want to get ready for the long arm so that I can spend a lot of time in early 2024 quilting them.

Happy birthday to your daughter!

Love the read, white, and blue blocks. They're going to make some gorgeous quilts.

Your mouse is darling.

Shepherdess55 said...

Maybe some of the units in the matching sets of 6 will end up in sashing or borders. It will be fun to see where they do end up.

Nann said...

My holiday activities tend to be front-loaded in December. Now at the third week things have quieted down, which is just fine. It's interesting to see all the speculation about combining/arranging the Indigo Way units. Just two more parts? Or maybe three....