Pages

Thursday, December 14, 2023

Mid-week play

The last of the grandkids' pillowcases are done finally.  Two of the boys are Chiefs fans, so that is what they are getting for pillowcases this year.  


And once the pillowcases were finished it was time to play with scraps again.  I really really need to clean up the cutting table, so those were the scraps I started with. 


The suitcase section using the Door County Wisconsin fabric is also done, but I haven't cut the handle or background pieces yet.  For now this section is clipped to the skirt hanger with the rest of the suitcase blocks.  I'm still looking for the dice fabric from Las Vegas.  Maybe I'll find it soon, or maybe I have already used it all in some project. 


A new Stashbuster block was born from the scrap bins yesterday.  There are about 20 of these hanging in the closet.  I think a couple more will join them this week. This was a stash buster challenge block offered free from Border Creek Station in 2022.  There are other free block patterns too.  https://www.bordercreekstation.com/the-stash-buster-challenge.htm


And while moving around those hangers full of block sets in the closet I found a block set that didn't get onto my list the other day.  Actually I found several.  These are called Plaid, and I was doing these as an I Spy type of kid quilt.  I made a lot of these for RSC22, and even have one row sewn together.  In 2023 these were completely neglected.  But for 2024, the Plaid blocks need to become a quilt, even if more blocks are required.  I'll have to go back into my blog to figure out where this pattern came from for sure, but I think this was maybe a Lori Holt pattern in one of her books. 


Half a dozen of the Boxed Squares came to life.  These used up the parts already cut and laying in the project box.  But I'll need quite a few more for a twin quilt, so this project box will stay near the top. 


And finally, here is a little experiment - a 3D Pinwheel might possibly be used on a future Christmas stocking. As I was surfing through Pinterest recently for tree skirt ideas, I began to see some stockings too.  And then at our Sew Vintage group last weekend, the topic came up of a Christmas stocking exchange in 2024.  It's not a done deal, but would definitely be a fun activity for our group.  I've been thinking that a couple of the stockings hanging on our fireplace need replacing anyway, so a bit of playing with designs will make my 2024 To Do list.  

2 comments:

Kate said...

You are moving along on those Christmas pillow cases and the suitcase blocks. Looks like you've got some fun scrappy projects lined up for next year.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

LOTS of pretty blocks - soon to become quilts.