Pages

Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Suitcase blocks

 More suitcases . . . made from the last of the "travel" fabric purchases that I had pulled out when I started making these blocks. 


The canoes and mosquitoes really make me laugh.  This was a Minnesota shop hop print one summer, and is so funny.  Of course the joke is that the mosquito is the state bird of Minnesota.  The fish was another Alaska purchase, and the cactus was from Arizona.


The pattern has the suitcases arranged very simply with no sashing to separate them, and with 16 blocks made so far, this is what it could look like.  These are 12" finished blocks, so it would only be 48" square at this point.  I will definitely make more of these in the future. 


Speaking of making more blocks - I bought a flamingo print one time in Florida many years ago, and also remembered seeing a piece of it in that cube full of novelty prints.  This will make a really cute suitcase. The background and handle pieces are cut and ready to finish this block.  And if my memory serves me right, there should also be a print with dice that I picked up in Las Vegas many years ago.  I'm afraid searching for that one might take a bit longer. 

6 comments:

Ramona said...

What a great memory quilt this will be. You will think of all the trips you've taken and all of the quilt shops you've visited. So fun!

Kate said...

Those suitcase blocks are really fun. You are going to have a very cute memory quilt.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The blocks are going to make a fun quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ahhh these are coming together so wonderfully!! what great memories!! and .. keep the mosquitos in MN haha!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I can tell you that the State bird is a skeeter for sure:) Cute blocks:)

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Oh yes, I remember those mosquitos!!! That was a very memorable print!?! So many great travel prints on your suitcases--really clever way to showcase them!!!