Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2024

RSC24 - Week #10

Well . . . writing "week #10" really made me think how fast 2024 is going by already.  Yikes!!


This is a scrappy binding that will go onto a scrappy quilt.  Most of this was pulled right out of the drawer holding leftover binding pieces.  The rest came from the actual scrap bin.  No new yardage was hurt to provide this binding. Yay!!  I have this quilt with me to work on in the hotel room. 


Purple was so much fun to dive into for RSC this month - in between prepping binding and other projects like clearing out that dreaded grey tote.  Each day this week I tried to sew something purple.  On Monday it was one of the 16-Patch Churn Dash blocks in light purple.  But I cut out the parts for 3 more because I already had 3 more of the 16-Patch centers done.  


Next up were these Zipper blocks.  The dark one on the right was made using a chunk of purple with metallic gold that I found in that big tote I'm trying to empty.  I used some of it in my RSC sewing this week, and put the remaining fat quarter or so into the stash drawer with the other purple yardage.  The light floral on the left was made from leftover backing.  


Then on Wednesday those other 3 purple Churn Dash blocks were sewn.  I'm liking these so very much, plus it's a great way to use those 16-Patch blocks that are 4.5" square. 


The 2 Dutchman's Puzzle blocks (with a few bonus Hourglass) came together quickly too.  I'm using aqua/teal with each RSC color.  So far there are 2 green, 2 red, 2 purple plus the orange one made as a test block i 2023.  Those corners trimmed off the Flying Geese are used in the little 3.5" Hourglass blocks.  There is a stack of those triangles now and they'll be Leaders/Enders next week.


A couple purple String Bead blocks happened too.  I have a little stack of 5" squares of phone book pages sitting next to my machine, so the string sections can always be on my agenda.


The RSC elephants came together gradually during the week.  I'll share more on that next week.
Today is Jackrabbit basketball.  Both the men and women earned #1 seeds in the conference tournament, so we'll be cheering loudly today as they play in the first round.  The tournament has become quite the family affair over the years, so I expect to enjoy college basketball with grandkids, nieces, daughters, sister-in-law - and whoever else shows up for the fun. Most of us will be wearing Jackrabbit blue, but there are a couple of them who will be cheering on the Coyotes and wearing red.  Even the rivalry is part of the fun!  Go Jacks!!

Check out more purple (or scrappy) fun . . . 
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Purple being one of my favorite colors so of course I love your blocks. But adding teal to the dutchmen puzzle blocks really ramped up my love for those blocks!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love a scrappy binding! And your 16 patch churn dash blocks are really neat! Looks like you got a lot done in your sewing room this week, Sara. Have fun at the basketball tournament!

Kate said...

You did get a lot of purple scrappy sewing done this week. Enjoy the basketball this weekend.

Nann said...

Pretty purples! I like the Yankee Puzzle theme with a constant aqua/teal. Go Jackrabbits!!

Susie H said...

Nice purple blocks. The 16-patch churn dash blocks are super cute!

Jenny said...

You have been busy sewing purple blocks all week. I'm looking forward to seeing your delightful elephant blocks work their way to a finish.

Tired Teacher said...

You made wonderful blocks with your scraps! The bin has revealed some fun fabrics, too.

Astrid said...

Pretty purple blocks. Well done on reducing scraps.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Love the purple batik in the Churn Dash block.