Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Distracted by Unity


Do you follow Bonnie Hunter on Quiltville?  If so, you probably know she is doing a FREE (for now) quilt-along project over the next few weeks.  She calls it Unity and was inspired by the Covid-19 social distancing happening around the world.    


It's kind of like her annual winter mystery quilts, as she will release a new clue each week for about 8 weeks. But this one she is telling us will be a medallion style quilt, and the first week's clue is the 18" center section.  We'll build around this medallion center with the future clues.  So it isn't entirely a mystery.   

I have no idea whether I will actually do all of the clues, but I couldn't resist making this medallion center.  Her followers have been posting their finished blocks on her Facebook group and I've been blown away by some of the gorgeous color combinations.  The dark background in this block was inspired by one I saw online.  All of these fabrics are from my stash but I chose not to do a totally scrappy look in this first block.  Once I see what the next week's clue looks like I may pull more lime green, pink, and aqua from the stash for a scrappy look.  And I'll probably keep doing a black background but will use other black prints as we go.  

4 comments:

LA Paylor said...

terrific colors... bonnie is a good person

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The colors and placement are spot on! I like the dark background with the brights.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

This is gorgeous! I have been contemplating doing this one. I need a jump start back into my quilting room.

chrisknits said...

Whoa! So bright!! I am not joining along right now. I think 3 QALs is enough for me. LOL!