Pages

Friday, September 25, 2020

Just a couple of blocks


Lori Holt's designs are some of my favorites, in spite of the fact that there are a zillion little pieces in each.  This is the Rooster block from her Farm Girl Vintage 2 book.  Our Sew Vintage group is talking about Chicken Scratch (embroidery), and chickens this month.  Lori Holt has a couple of different chicken blocks in her first FGV book - a mama chicken and a baby.  And then their is the rooster in this second book to complete the little chicken family.  Isn't it cute?  This is the 12" version and I still have all of the 12" blocks from the first book, just waiting to become something special.  This rooster can join the rest of his family, and the other farm critters, foods, and flowers.


I needed 2 more rainbow strings blocks to have enough for a child sized quilt, so here we go.  The aqua block is done and added to the stack.  The yellow one needs a few more strings to cover the other side of the muslin foundation.  Then a quick square up to 9.5", and these will all be ready to lay out with some sashing (black) and colorful corner stones.  A very traditional simple layout plan.  




6 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Cute rooster block. My Mom made a lot of string blocks in the 40s and 50s, sewing them on newspaper. It was my “job” to remove the paper. My sister inherited the quilt.

Deb A said...

Love the rooster block! I really need to make some string blocks - I always love seeing them but never seem to make any!

The Joyful Quilter said...

A little bit of RED and you're jumping ahead to yellow? Or all the way back to green?! It's all good, as long as you're using your SCRAPS!! :o))

Jenny said...

Such a handsome rooster, he will no doubt be looking forward to catching up with the rest of his flock.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Love the rooster! :)

sewyouquilt2 said...

Love your rooster. Lori has some fun designs. I want to make a hockey skate table runner for my sons hockey family.
I have 3 lori holt books. Fun fun