Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2020

Lunch hour sewing

With an hour in between work projects yesterday I prepped a binding, pieced a backing, and cut some of the pieces for a piano key border.  

This navy blue binding is the same fabric as the navy sashing on this Quilt of Valor I'm making for a family member who spent his whole career in the Navy.   It's all ready to sew onto the quilt that just came back from the quilter.  I want this one completely done by November 1 as he often comes back to Minnesota to go deer hunting with his brother in November.  But if not, then the quilt will be mailed to Florida, and maybe his daughter will present it for me.  


Piano Key borders always look good but I don't necessarily enjoy making them.  I prefer working from strip sets, but in this case I'm pulling from scraps so I cut a variety of widths by 4.5" long.  I need a bit more variety of color yet but it's a good start.  Then I'll need to make 4 hourglass blocks for the corners - also from scraps. 


Once the borders are ready they will go onto the Kim Diehl Potting Shed mini quilt.  Luckily I don't need a very long strip of piano keys as this is only about 20" square.  


Last but not least I pieced a bright pink backing for this child sized quilt.  This was a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project that I put together back in June.  The block is called Beads or Chandelier, and I mostly used a couple of charm packs plus a few other scraps.  I'm hoping to drop it off with a quilter over the weekend.  








5 comments:

Nann said...

A wonderful variety!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The sashing on the QOV makes the stars “pop.” You’ll have the binding on and the quilt finished easily by your deadline. I love the Beads pattern and need to add it to my list.

sewyouquilt2 said...

Beautiful quilts. I have a chandelier quilt in the works.made from scraps as I clean up. I love it and am thinking it may end up being more than one quilt

Far Side of Fifty said...

I like the sashing too! Nice job on everything in an hour! :)

Jenny said...

Lovely work. The chandelier pattern is on my "must make sometime" quilt list, great for a RSC quilt.